Notices

solenoid help

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2009, 12:20 PM
shaddow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solenoid help

Iv got a 2001 bug eye wrx and I cleaned out the boost control solenoid with some brake cleaner but since iv done it the car seems to have lost the big punch of torque low down the revs, now it got a really smooth power delivery but feels slower as its not got a big kick of torque.

Have I broken it? if so where can I get a replacement?
Iv called subaru but £161 is a bit steep.

If its not broken, what could have caused the change and how can I revert it.

p.s The solenoid I cleaned is in the top right of this pic

Iv noticed that in previous posts about cleaning the solenoid people post images of 96-2000 solenoids, now 2001+ dont have the same setup do they?
I only ask because I cant find the gold cylinder looking solenoid in my engine bay. (pictured below)
Old 10 August 2009, 01:07 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaddow
Iv got a 2001 bug eye wrx and I cleaned out the boost control solenoid with some brake cleaner but since iv done it the car seems to have lost the big punch of torque low down the revs, now it got a really smooth power delivery but feels slower as its not got a big kick of torque.
One possiible explanation for you to consider is that it may simply be that now it's working properly, and before you cleaned it, the car was overboosting a little. However...

Have I broken it?
It's most unlikely that you could break the solenoid merely by shooting solvent through it. Besides, the fact that you still have boost control tells us it's still working.

If its not broken, what could have caused the change and how can I revert it.
What prompted you to clean the solenoid in the first place? If it (and the pipework) really was full of muck, it's possible that the car is now behaving as it is supposed to, whereas before, although feeling faster, it was actually "wrong".

However, all that said, when you were cleaning it out, did you remove any of the boost control pipes at the turbo end (lines 1 and 2 in the first pic you posted)? If you did, are you certain they went back on the right way round, and can you still feel the restrictor pill in line 1?

p.s The solenoid I cleaned is in the top right of this
Yeah that's correct.

Iv noticed that in previous posts about cleaning the solenoid people post images of 96-2000 solenoids, now 2001+ dont have the same setup do they?
No. Not all 96-2000 cars have the same setup either!
Old 10 August 2009, 01:22 PM
shaddow
Scooby Newbie

I cleaned it out cos when I had it mapped they only managed 259bhp and thatw with a full 3" decat system and pannel filter.
The mapper said he was struggling to get more boost. its set up a fraction under 1 bar.
I have sinse cleaned all the pipes and put them back on the correc wat and just for good measure Iv just ordered a type-s boost controll solenoid and its going back in on Friday to see if he can get any more power with the new solenoid and by tweaking the actuator.
Old 10 August 2009, 01:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Slightly off-topic but a 3" exhaust system is probably doing more harm than good at this power level. Can't help but wonder whether that's anything to do with the issues you're experiencing.

Can't immediately see why the mapper would have difficulties raising the boost target on your car either - to the extent of requiring an aftermarket solenoid anyway. Who's the mapper?
Old 10 August 2009, 01:44 PM
shaddow
Scooby Newbie

Well iv suggested the new solenoid as now told myself that mine is faulty, we all do it lol!
I was thinking it might avoid spiking if we adjust the actuator to get some more boost.
Its The Racing Line in Halifax (Ecutek map)