Notices

Anyone fitted a Ninja sports cat downpipe themselves ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2009, 08:38 PM
Wilky_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fitted a Ninja sports cat downpipe themselves ?

Alright folks ! I wonder if you can help me out. Yesterday I ordered my Ninja sports cat downpipe from Scooby World. I have a 2004 WRX. It arrived today ( great service - thanks ! ) and I decided to fit it this evening. I had already done a lot of the prep last weekend so all bolts were loose, etc... All went well but I have a couple of questions:

1)- The bracket where you should secure the downpipe to the gearbox is miles out ! Is this right ? The pipe is held quite solid by the bolts at the turbo end and the front de-cat pipe. Anyone else had this problem ?

2)- How did you tighten the bottom nut as the downpipe meets the turbo. You can't get to it from the top ( the pipe is too wide ) and from underneath the steering linkage is in the way. It's on at the moment just not very tightly !

3)- Took the car for a spin. You can hear the turbo spool up more and the car seems a bit more responsive. I know I won't get the beneift until I get it mapped ( two weeks ) but should I notice anything else ?

4)- I am still getting around 11psi of boost - does that sound right ? Heard a lot about overboost but to be honest I don't really understand what it is and how to detect it.

Cheers for any advice as ever !!

Wilky.

Last edited by Wilky_Boy; 06 August 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06 August 2009, 09:42 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

the brackets dont line up as its a classic part they supply for you to fit, mine wasnt even the right length so your lucky
Old 06 August 2009, 09:51 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Mine fitted like that too (52 wrx) the bracket is off, but the each end of the exhaust will hold it tight enough!
Your turbo heat sheild won't fit back as the new pipe is wider and makes the sheild hit it (you'll have to chop it alot) i suggest you heat wrap the new pipe to stop any excess heat doing damage to the steering spindle. (still have to do this on my car though!!)
Old 06 August 2009, 11:20 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

Same on my 05 wrx, the bracket is way out, tried to email to ask but got no reply, that was a year and half ago
Its held secure enough on the top and bottom so dont worry about it.
The turbo heat shield will go back fine, althought wrapping it would be a good idea anyway.
Managed to get the bottom bolt from the left side around the pipes there, although still is a pain to get at.
Old 04 September 2009, 07:42 AM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

I had the same trouble, they said it was the way I fitted it ? how else could I fit it?
Old 04 September 2009, 08:16 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkeh
I had the same trouble, they said it was the way I fitted it ? how else could I fit it?
No its not you fella, its the crap they sell as Ninjas they are just a cheap copy like the centres they sold for years as someone elses