Notices

More power no more noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2002, 01:37 AM
brendy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to increase the power on a standard MY00 Turbo without increasing the the noise level. From previous car (Renault 16V) a scorpion exhaust and K&N filter made it bloody noisy especially on motorways.
What knid of gains can be got from any possible mods?????????
Old 09 March 2002, 08:08 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Brendy,

I have a Magnex 6x4 exhaust (full system) on mine and I don't consider it to be very loud at all
Also got a K+N Panel filter which is also pretty quiet.
Obviously the car sounds fairly throaty (as do most Scoobies) but it's not in-you-face like a boy racer's car
I reckon I get maybe 10-20bhp power increase from these but I've not had it on the rollers yet.
J
Old 10 March 2002, 07:57 AM
NBW
Scooby Regular

A downpipe will give you ~10bhp, without much extra noise but more importantly allows the turbo to spin up earlier. I have a Scoobysport.

As far as the rest of the exhaust goes, I've read that it's the backbox that has most influence on the noise, and that Remus make a quiet one. I have a WR Sport which is also supposedly fairly quiet, but I do find it a bit boomy on the motorway - but then I have the wagon which is a bit noisier anyway. Off the motorway it sounds lovely

I still have the standard centre, but am having a Magnex centre with resonator fitted next week - I'm hoping this will tame the boom on motorways a little.

A fully de-catted exhaust should give 20-25bhp. Many people also go for an ITG replacement filter as well. I've chosen to stick with the standard one though, as my car is still under warranty.

Keep an eye on the For Sale section or post in Wanted - backboxes and centres come up fairly often, downpipes more rarely. The first two are apparently easy to fit DIY, downpipes less so.

Cheers
Tim
Old 10 March 2002, 11:13 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Brendy,

If you want quiet performance, make sure you get a centre section with a silencer and choose your backbox carefully. I went for a Remus one which is quieter than the standard exhaust but flows a lot better. http://www.elitedirect.com/

For induction kits, look at the cased ones from Pipercross ("Viper") /Green ("Twister") which are a cone filter in a sealed box - these cut down on intake noise.http://www.performanceairfilters.com

Thanks

Gavin
Old 10 March 2002, 11:13 AM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Hi Brendy,

Electronic mapping is the quietest solution. If you have an ae802 version original ECU in your car, then you have much scope for improvement. Have a look at http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/oemcompare to check which version you have.

Once you've done that, you can choose between replacement ecus, piggyback ecus or a simple reprogram of your existing ecu. Prices range from £150 to £1500. Price doesn't reflect performance gains necessarily.

Regs.

Steve
Old 11 March 2002, 03:34 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Brendy

Surprised to hear you had so much noise with a Scorpion pipe on your previous car. I've got a de-catted Scorpion centre section and BB with an ITG filter and the noise in the cabin has barely changed from the original set-up. Outside though and it feels so much quicker.

Cheers
Kav