Notices

Please help - newbie technical question.

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2009, 01:41 AM
Bartosz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help - newbie technical question.

Hi everybody! I'm new on the forum, just wanna buy my first scooby, and i'm very confused... hopefully some experienced owners can help me.
Today i was checking 04Reg. WRX... current owner said, that bottom of the engine was rebuild, because "some knocking developed"... i read about this briefly using search option, but i thought this was rather impossible with 43k miles on the clock...
Looking around i can see, that there is couple of cars for sale with around 50k miles, and allready with engine rebuilt... god, it scares me...
Please explain me, what could be the reason of killing the engine on sucha relatively low milage???? Should i stay away from rebuild engines? or its normal??

P.S
Please forgive me my poor English, as i'm foreigner and still learning

Last edited by Bartosz; 26 July 2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 26 July 2009, 02:18 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Like any marque, there will occasionally be the odd failure, but usually on Scoobs it's user error which kills them. Either driving like a tool or modding them stupidly will shorten their lives, often drastically. P1's had a reputation for meltdown, and Jap imports which are brought in by people without the requisite knowledge and driven on UK fuel without either octane booster or a proper remap. A standard or mildly mod'd UK car should not give much if any problems, they are amongst the most reliable cars out there. Always remember, there's plenty out there for sale, so if anything worries you about a car you look at, walk away and find the next.

Do plenty of research on here, and consider getting involved with a local club whose knowledgeable members might be willing to view a car with you. A cheap car might become an expensive mistake if you don't go fore-armed.
Old 26 July 2009, 08:59 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

As above, there are plenty of good cars out there, be patient and dont jump in with both feet. If you are in any doubt, walk away, especially if it is at the cheap end of cheap! You gets what you pays for in this world!
Old 26 July 2009, 10:24 AM
neill70
Scooby Regular

i used to have an 02 bugeye wrx with ppp and around 60k on the clock and never had any bother with it, now i have just bought a 95 import wrx with 86k on the clock for 2 grand and the only things wrong with it are wear and tear items, you just have to be carefull when checking cars out, get all your checks in your head before you look.

Last edited by neill70; 26 July 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 26 July 2009, 12:26 PM
Bartosz
Scooby Newbie

Thaks guys! that's what i need - a examples of a good car and good words about them ;-)
Trouble is, car what i was looking at was 2004, 43k, and price was 7800, so definitely not cheap... going to view this car i was expecring spot on car, and i discover pretty poor condition, and owner decribing a "great technical condition" briefly mention about new crankshaft... Its good he mention about this, but i can imagine, if someone wants to sell the car quick, maybe not gonna be so honest... and this scares me, that's why i put this question on the forum. Is there any way of checking if engin was rebuild? I know it's silly question, but hey! i'm newbie, so i can ask stupid questions ;-D
Another think, when i was looking under the car i noticed, that rear differential (not sure if i'm using correct english word to describe this part) was little wet, its not big leak, but just noticeable... i dont think its normal, but i better ask someon with big experience.

Cheers!
Bart