Notices

What happens to a sigma alarm when you disconnect / reconnect battery?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2009, 10:36 PM
xecute
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What happens to a sigma alarm when you disconnect / reconnect battery?

Hello,

I'm the new owner of 2001 UK WRX. I'd like to reset the ECU as I'm unsure of the petrol the car has been run on. I plan on only using BP97/TESCO99/VPOWER. I've read that the ECU can be reset by removing the battery, only problem is I'm worried that the Subaru Sigma alarm that is fitted to the car will need a code of some sort after power loss. Can anyone confirm any of this for me?

Thanks. Great to have a scooby - makes you smile every time you put your foot down!

Ben.
Old 20 July 2009, 10:44 PM
clark822
Scooby Regular

Have you tried searching for ecu reset i know classics have a reset pair of plugs not sure on new age - maybe a garage can plug in to reset ?
Old 20 July 2009, 10:48 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ive had mine remapped and ive changed the battery with no issues regaurding the alarm
Old 20 July 2009, 10:51 PM
xecute
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have researched the ECU reset. Its just how disconnecting the battery affects the alarm. I can't find any alarm pin anywhere in the docs i've got. I'd like to get hold of an OBD cable but don't have the cash to spare yet
Old 20 July 2009, 10:55 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to just use the key fob when it goes off again, however, its handy to know the pin.
Heres how to get it courtesey of Sigma Sam

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
To reset the PIN code:
- Arm and then Disarm the system using a working Radio Key.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)
- Arm the system with the Radio Key
- You should now be able to disarm the system using the new PIN code

To program radio keys:
- Arm and then Disarm the system using a working Radio Key.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*91*2# where 2 is total number of radio keys to work the system
- Briefly press both/all radio keys in turn (the dash board LED will flash each time and the siren will bleep) Any radio keys not programmed here will no-longer operate the system.
- You should now be able to arm and disarm the system using all the radio keys programmed.

When using the keypad always observe the following points:
- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.
- If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.
- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.
- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a security feature to prevent random PIN attempts disarming the system.
Old 20 July 2009, 11:00 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by xecute
I'm the new owner of 2001 UK WRX. I'd like to reset the ECU as I'm unsure of the petrol the car has been run on.
Welcome. Your post is largely moot, in part for reasons explained further below but primarily because the ECUs on the newage cars will adapt quickly to whatever fuel you are using on an ongoing basis. In other words there's no need to reset the ECU.

I plan on only using BP97/TESCO99/VPOWER.
BP Ultimate isn't as good as Tesco, which isn't as good as V Power.

I've read that the ECU can be reset by removing the battery,
That's incorrect, for your car at least. Classic shape Impreza ECUs can be "reset to default" by removing the standby power supply. Newage ECUs however, can't. The only way to default them is via a command from a diagnostic interface - although as mentioned above you don't need to do this anyway, as the ECU will already have adapted to whatever fuel you've got in now.

only problem is I'm worried that the Subaru Sigma alarm that is fitted to the car will need a code of some sort after power loss.
No, the alarm, also, has a non-volatile memory. However as a matter of course you should get to know what the alarm PIN and command codes are; you're guaranteed to need them at some point. Probably not a bad idea to change the PIN, too.
Old 20 July 2009, 11:12 PM
xecute
Scooby Newbie

Great thanks everyone for the info. I'm running V Power so will stick with it.

Is the Tactrix the only diagnostics cable available?