Notices

Vibration under gentle braking?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2002, 11:44 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Not sure this is down to warped disc (AP 6 pot bedded in correctly) because when brake pressure is applied more firmer then it does not happen. Also seems to hold a straight line ie no pulling left or right. Any ideas? Tyres, wheel weights? Geometry has been done not too long ago so guess this bit can be ruled out?
Going to Powerstation to get roll bar etc fitted next week so will ask them to check possible cause.
Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Cheers Terry
Old 08 March 2002, 12:04 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My 2p's worth:

I would suggest it is your front discs... only they are just warped a little bit..

My motorcycle currently has warped front disks but the back are fine.

If I brake hard or soft with just the front brakes then it judders.. if I brake very very hard with just the front brakes then no judder... if I brake with back and front brakes then no judder at all.

Under light braking your front brakes will be doing most work and therefore the judder shows up..

It shouldn't effected braking efficency much until the warping and judder get a lot worse.

You can get the disks skimmed if they are fairly new... if wear is eccessive then you may as well drive it as it is until the judder is too much for you to put up with. If you get them skimmed make sure you fit new pads or take the surface off so they are flat too.

If you go through deep water when the brakes are hot this will cause them to warp or do a lot of high speed braking (heat more) then you will warp the disks.

I used to live where we had to go through a ford to get to the house and my brakes lasted about a week on new disks before warping like crazy.

Make sure you replace the pads if you ever change the disks.. the pads wear to the disk shape (score marks) and on the new disks they will cause hot spots until they wear to the new disk and cause them to warp possibilly.

My current Scooby looking through the receipts has brake judder previously and had the disks skimmed and is still running those disk as far as I can tell in the history without any judder now..

Cheers

JGM
Old 08 March 2002, 06:48 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

I think that you are right, but still hoping something else. AP 6 pot warped after 3000 miles approx, hope this is not normal in the hope that if confirmed then AP may change them.
Any thoughts on life of these things as I have not even changed pads yet!
terry
Old 09 March 2002, 12:01 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Before messing with the brakes, get your wheels rebalanced by a decent place

Although they may be balanced so they don't wobble at speed, under the stress of braking (and weight moving forward) they could be a little off and thats the wobble your picking up.

Sure it could be the brakes themselves but I'd eliminate the wheels first

Cheers
Neil.
Old 09 March 2002, 05:44 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

ScoobyJawa
Hope you are right. Will find out at Powerstation next.
terry
Old 10 March 2002, 08:21 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Are your rotors slotted, if so that does cause that sort of affect, only noticable during slow braking.

Dan
Old 10 March 2002, 09:26 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

submannz
Yes they are the grooved ones. Today I took pads out and cleaned out the grooves on the them and roughed them up with glass paper as they seemed a bit shiny. Found quite a bit of brake dust had built up plus some of the pad had crumbled. Did not get a chance to try yet may get round to it Monday or Tuesday, will take it easy at first to re bed pads I guess.
Terry