Notices

Back in the SCOOBY fold, need a little help/borrow of a Dump Valve!

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2009, 11:57 AM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the SCOOBY fold, need a little help/borrow of a Dump Valve!

Hello, Been a member here for a while and had a few scooby`s...

Picked up my latest one yesterday...\/\/

Thing is, it has a Baily`s dump valve, but the p.o said it had been adjusted to it didnt dump all the time?

sounds to me like either a faulty dv or there is an adjuster but i just cant see it. (i`ve unscrewed the nipple at the top ad looked in but can see a way to adjust it!).

So would like to just put another DV on there to see if everything is ok.

The car still pulls well and feels like its boosting, but poss not 100%, i got the car for a very good price, so i dont mind throwing some money at it.

Also there is like a small scratchy noise coming from where all the belts are at the front, can i just give all the pully`s a good spraying with wd40 and hope the annoying scratchy noise goes away!.

I`m in swindon, and if the DV works would buy off of whoever is kind enough to lend.

Thanks guys...

Daz
Old 14 July 2009, 07:30 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Best dumpvalve to fit is the standard Subaru one. If you can't see one in the For Sale forums you could probably pick one up on eBay for next to nothing.

And no, oil is the last thing you want to be spraying on your belts. The last thing you want to do is lubricate them, it'll make them slip. If it's that bad you can get proper belt spray from a good motor factor or engineering place. Make sure though that nothing else is causing it.
Old 14 July 2009, 08:53 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.

I didnt mean spraying the actual belts.

I meant the pulleys, actually in the starter motor and all the pully`s...

What else could it be.

Its not that bad, but its there and it annoy`s me!.

I`ll check the FS section for a standard dv, would have been nice to just quickly borrow one just to compare!.

Thanks again

Darren
Old 14 July 2009, 09:30 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_me
Thanks for the reply.

I didnt mean spraying the actual belts.
I meant the pulleys, actually in the starter motor and all the pully`s...
The pulleys don't make noise by themselves, so on that basis there's no point spraying oil on them. And, if you tried, it'll get on the belts and we're back to post #2.

You can't spray into the starter motor as it is pretty much a sealed unit. It's also in a completely different location to the one you identified in your first post, did you mean the alternator? Either way, spraying oil into the starter or alternator is a bad idea. It'll burn on and oxidise on the commutators and won't actually get into the bearings, which are sealed.

What else could it be.
Without actually listening to the car, none of us has a chance of saying with certainty what it is. If it's coming from the aux belt/pulley area(s), it's either a noisy belt or a knackered/knackering bearing. Either way WD40 isn't going to do it any good.

If it's a noisy bearing, the only way to lubicate it is to strip it out and remove the seals. However, if it's got to the point where it's whining, it's probably past the point where simply bunging in some grease will bring it back.

Last edited by Splitpin; 14 July 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 14 July 2009, 09:46 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

Thanks i`ll do a video clip and you can have a listen!

Daz
Old 14 July 2009, 09:55 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

The front cam pulley has a habit of coming loose, Especially if it has been removed in the past, For say a timing belt change, The Woodruff key then becomes worn & or the pulley itself, I would check that it is tight via the centre bolt ..

Dean
Old 22 July 2009, 07:35 PM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

ALL SORTED!!!

Thanks to David, and the boys at API Engines

Was the Air Con Idler Pulley.

+ had casused the Air Con Belt to wear, and the Power steering belt needed replacing!

No more scratching!, found a few other niggles, but now i know where they are, i may aswell setup a standing order with my bank!, that place is like a sweet shop to kids!.

The service today was second to none, and very reasonable price indeed, considdering i turned up and they sorted it there and then!..

I`ll be back soon!!!!!!

API ENGINES

Last edited by scooby_me; 22 July 2009 at 07:37 PM.