MY03 Wrx Turbo whine when cold

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2009, 12:39 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 Wrx Turbo whine when cold

MY03 Wrx 75000 Miles, No centre cat.
Noticed today with the radio off that there is a whine from the Turbo approx between 2k & 3k Rpm when cold, after a few miles this gets less & more faint
There are quite a few posts on here with people stating the same, Saying Normal/Turbo will blow

Whats the common thoughts ? Is this near normal on a Newage ??
The noise may of always been there since i purchased it & i have never noticed it !!
As far as i am aware the Turbo is a standard unit, Although i have not checked ..

Similar posts.
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...rbo-whine.html
My MY00 Euro/UK spec turbo has made the police/fire siren faint sound at those revs, 2500 to 2800, from brand new mainly from cold and even at normal temps, but not always. Sometimes it's more noticeable than other times. When I first heard it, basically the first time I drove it, I was looking in the rear view mirror to see if an emergency vehicle was coming, so I could move out of it's way. It sounded far away. I then realised it was the car. 13000 miles later, it still does it and there has been no problems. I never really worried about it. I just thought it was normal. Sometimes when I can't hear it I think something is wrong. This is the first time I have heard of anyone else mentioning it.

Mine does not have the standard exhaust system. The car made the noise when the car was standard and it still does it with quite a few mods, exhaust, cold air induction, electronic boost controller, blow off valve, etc. No roller bearing turbos on the MY99/00 euro spec cars either.

When Beastie (scoobynet member) was over here for holidays last year, I took him for a wrap in my car and I asked him if he could hear the faint sound. When I told him it sounded like a police siren, that's when he heard it, cos he knew what to listen for. We concluded it was just normal. Maybe something to do with the turbo blades?
Cheers,

Wrexy.
Cheers.
Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 06 July 2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06 July 2009, 02:03 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Just been out @ lunchtime & there is something there,You can hear the usual flutter, But it is hard to distinguish & determine above the noise of the Exhaust !!!

I may have to ram a Cat up the Tailpipe for a diagnostic run ....

Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 06 July 2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06 July 2009, 09:51 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Well. After further investigation, it does do it when hot also, Although quieter !! It does appear though that i have a Buggered Dumper, It came with a Bailey Atmospheric & when i took it off, it was virtually seized, it did operate, all be it very slowly, So not closing/opening as rapidly as it should.

I did put a wanted on here for a standard Recirc , but had no Joy, Also went to grade A for a few Bits & forgot the Dumper oh:

Dean
Old 07 July 2009, 10:37 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Smile

BOoInG