Old 05 July 2009, 08:49 PM
portugezer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hello newbie here-a few questions

hello all, glad to be part of this forum,
i have just bought a 1999 imported wrx wagon,
Love the car to bits has taken me ages to find the right one (colour+shape),
So just a few questions-would be so greatful for any help....
1, love the sound of dump valves-worth getting????
2, Was flying down the motorway and hit 115mph and what felt like a speed limiter kicked in-now can i get thei removed?
if so where? and is there a module that does this-or is it a clock change?
3, Was driving to my parking space and turning a courner at about 15-20mph while turning left while coasting-vehicle slowed down alot-(was on flat ground)-asked a mate at work and he thought it might be the 4WD fighting itself while turning,
4, I was coming up a hill and i by mistake put it into 4th-was doing about 20ish mph and had a loud rattle(metal sounding-not vibration) from car-instead of the normal judder like in normal cars.
5, Can my turbo only run on super unleaded????
and finaly-i went to a car show and saw an EVO pull a four wheel drive doughnut-can i pull these without blowing my WRX up???? i wont try unless its on loose ground-tyres are to expensive-to try tarmac.
All your help will be great and looking forward to enjoying my scooby.
Fil
Old 05 July 2009, 08:54 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by portugezer
2, Was flying down the motorway and hit 115mph and what felt like a speed limiter kicked in-now can i get thei removed?
3, Was driving to my parking space and turning a courner at about 15-20mph while turning left while coasting-vehicle slowed down alot-(was on flat ground)-asked a mate at work and he thought it might be the 4WD fighting itself while turning,
4, I was coming up a hill and i by mistake put it into 4th-was doing about 20ish mph and had a loud rattle(metal sounding-not vibration) from car-instead of the normal judder like in normal cars.
and finaly-i went to a car show and saw an EVO pull a four wheel drive doughnut-can i pull these without blowing my WRX up???? i wont try unless its on loose ground-tyres are to expensive-to try tarmac.
Fil
did you mean 115 mph on a track? or maybe the autobahn??????
Old 05 July 2009, 08:56 PM
portugezer
Scooby Newbie

oh yes autoban!!!!!!!-still gutted the beast is limited-im sure its good for 140mph
Old 05 July 2009, 09:04 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

oh yes autoban!!!!!!!-still gutted the beast is limited-im sure its good for 140mph
im sure theres plenty of guys on here who will be able to help you out mate, im not to sure myself but good luck with it!
Old 05 July 2009, 09:05 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Fil
HI mate
I will try to answer a few of these for you !
1. Dump valves are mainly a no no on here just for the noise and if you are modding can do the engine more harm than good.
2.115 MPH slow down no need sounds like some kind of limiter or engine protection someone will comment soon as I have heard of this.
3.Sounds like the diffs working this is not a problem as most scoobs do this.
4.Exhaust rattling
5.yes shells V power seems to be the best or Tesco's 99 Super.
6. your car is 10 years old, if I was you I would forget about doughnuts
Hope this helps.
Old 05 July 2009, 09:13 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

JDM imports need a remap to run on our fuel, even super, as they're set up for 100RON Jap fuel. If your car still has a limiter on it, I would guess that it might not have been remap'd either as they usually do both jobs together, along with swapping the clocks for MPH ones. Find out before going mad with it otherwise you could be looking at a big bill if the engine fails. The limiter is mandatory in Japan and restricts the car to 112mph, but just by removing this don't expect the car to go to a massive top speed as the gearing is set up around this 112mph figure, so there might not be much left over about 120 in truth.

Your car already has a dump valve fitted, but it is a recirculating design which is best suited to the car so makes no 'whoosh' noise. If you want the silly noise you have to compromise the smooth running, reliability and your wallet, whilst gaining no performance whatsoever.
Old 05 July 2009, 09:15 PM
portugezer
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that mate-great to hear diff is normal-might still put dump valve on as not looking to mod car-just the exhaust-air filter(have been told no oil based ones-and dump is as far as i will go.
Old 05 July 2009, 09:28 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate-great to hear diff is normal-might still put dump valve on as not looking to mod car-just the exhaust-air filter(have been told no oil based ones-and dump is as far as i will go.

As not looking to mod........ Thats what they all say
Its like a drug once you start you cant stop.
Old 05 July 2009, 09:30 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

portugezer Where in Surrey are you from, As im near Reigate.
Old 05 July 2009, 09:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Why waste money on something which will not help the car with performance, driveability or reliability ? Spend the DV money elsewhere.

Your car probably has woeful 2 pot brake calipers, which need upgrading to at least 4 pots, ideally with some quality pads.

The air intake on Scoobs is very good, so don't think about induction kits as they may reduce power and risk reliability. An aftermarket panel won't get any power either, the only benefit being lifetime use saving a few pennies.

Quality exhaust components allied to a good remap is where you'll see the biggest gains, but be prepared to upgrade the fuel pump, injectors, and maybe turbo to cope. The older intercoolers are often a weak point too.

The best upgrades for on-road speed and driveability will come from some good suspension components. These cars are already powerful and fast, but manufacturing budgets on what is a relatively cheap car anyway mean many of the components are lacking, especially chassis and suspension. Look at getting at least some uprated springs and dampers, or ideally coilovers, allied to some stronger anti-roll bars. These items might not give you any numbers to brag about in the pub, but will be much more beneficial on the road, and might also help keep you alive by controlling the power more effectively.

Your car, your money, listen or ignore, your choice !