Notices

Mesh to cover air-con unit in front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2002, 03:43 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have one? Any point? Remember someone telling me a friend of his had a hole put in the a/c rad. by a stone and it cost £1000 to replace. The front of my car is off being resprayed so thought maybe it was worth fitting a mesh whilst it was off?

Is it worth doing??
Old 06 March 2002, 03:51 PM
Lenny.
Scooby Regular

Question

Think they do exist - not sure where!

I'm after one to match the mesh on my MY01 WRX Subaru Sports Grille

Any ideas, anyone?
Old 06 March 2002, 07:41 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

you can get various mesh type materials from B&Q warehouse etc, you can then make your own made to measure jobby.
Though make sure you choose one that lets a high % of air through.

hope this helps

ray t
Old 06 March 2002, 10:58 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

Ray,

That seems a lot more affordable than the £67.00 www.rgmstyling.com are charging for a bit of mesh 300mm by 75mm!!!

Yikes!
Old 08 March 2002, 11:39 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Done it myself on a MY01 bought Foilatec black anodised grill in same pattern as sport mesh grill . dead easy to fit can be inserted from above by removing grill and in my case side sport grills either side of the headlights. The grill I got had to be trimmed withe tin snips to fit,so all I did was cut it in two as the Foilatec mesh is slightly shorter and insert it behind the hole in the spoiler working from the top of the engine. to secure it in place I drilled three small holes which need to be done to stop the grill flexing and being forced back at speed.If you imagine looking at the current front "hole" on the lower bumper there are three black areas to put these three holes one in the center and one to the left and right all I did was drill a small hole in the plastic ,then buy three black number plate screw covers put these on to three screws and then screwed them through onto the grill the number plate covers then snap over to conceal the screw head, as the screw pierces the grill mesh simply attach a panel fastener or similar.to the screw and tighten up.The center screw I then passed through an alloy "spredder bar" as this is needed to pull in the two split grill halfs as there is no mesh to screw to , a fastener is then put behind this bar bar is only approx 2" long an a half inch wide. Also prior to fitting I sprayed the black grill again with black gloss car paint a couple of times for added protection, this has now been fitted for 9 months with no flaking or peeling and looks like new and as if it was part of the original body.....Sorry if I have rambled but its difficult to explain if anyone wants i will post diagrams etc.It looks brill. Total cost £25-30.
Sandman.
Old 08 March 2002, 11:40 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Done it myself on a MY01 bought Foilatec black anodised grill in same pattern as sport mesh grill . dead easy to fit can be inserted from above by removing grill and in my case side sport grills either side of the headlights. The grill I got had to be trimmed withe tin snips to fit,so all I did was cut it in two as the Foilatec mesh is slightly shorter and insert it behind the hole in the spoiler working from the top of the engine. to secure it in place I drilled three small holes which need to be done to stop the grill flexing and being forced back at speed.If you imagine looking at the current front "hole" on the lower bumper there are three black areas to put these three holes one in the center and one to the left and right all I did was drill a small hole in the plastic ,then buy three black number plate screw covers put these on to three screws and then screwed them through onto the grill the number plate covers then snap over to conceal the screw head, as the screw pierces the grill mesh simply attach a panel fastener or similar.to the screw and tighten up.The center screw I then passed through an alloy "spredder bar" as this is needed to pull in the two split grill halfs as there is no mesh to screw to , a fastener is then put behind this bar bar is only approx 2" long an a half inch wide. Also prior to fitting I sprayed the black grill again with black gloss car paint a couple of times for added protection, this has now been fitted for 9 months with no flaking or peeling and looks like new and as if it was part of the original body.....Sorry if I have rambled but its difficult to explain if anyone wants i will post diagrams etc.It looks brill. Total cost £25-30.
Sandman.
Old 09 March 2002, 10:25 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested in screens / photos, please.

Thanks --> steve@hirsty.co.uk
Old 09 March 2002, 07:34 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve, sorry i dont have a digital camera, but will try to get one to take some pics for you failing that i will take some real ones and post to you ok.
Old 10 March 2002, 12:15 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Many thanks. I've always dreaded the stone that knacks my aircon radiator.

....../touches wood.