Notices

engine knocking

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2009, 06:19 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine knocking

just bought a 97 impresza and i had like a knocking noise that got louder as i drove so i got to a mates house and it got very loud even on idle and had trouble starting after that so the aa guy said it may be the big end i contacted the used car place and told him wats happened and he said that it was fine before i bought it (like he would say) and to let him know monday wat was said at the garage so am now waiting till monday morning to find out. does anyone know wat my rights are with warranty regarding used car lots cos he said there is no warranty with a car over 9 yrs old with him and if it is the big end wats involved and wats the cost
Old 20 June 2009, 06:22 PM
dean_gti
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the big end m8. Audio clip would help loads.
Old 20 June 2009, 06:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traders by law have to provide a minimum 28 day warranty on a car, if it goes bang then they pay for it, especially within a few hours/miles of buying it.

Tony
Old 20 June 2009, 07:11 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 5lider
just bought a 97 impresza and i had like a knocking noise that got louder as i drove so i got to a mates house and it got very loud even on idle and had trouble starting after that so the aa guy said it may be the big end i contacted the used car place and told him wats happened and he said that it was fine before i bought it (like he would say) and to let him know monday wat was said at the garage so am now waiting till monday morning to find out. does anyone know wat my rights are with warranty regarding used car lots cos he said there is no warranty with a car over 9 yrs old with him and if it is the big end wats involved and wats the cost
there are companies that do warrenties for cars with or without service history same as they will warrantee a car with up to 100,000 miles or less than 10 years old.
so tell him thats porkies! when did you buy the car if its withing a certain period I think you can get a refund as long as it wasnt on trade terms(e.g. sold as seen) as it was faulty goods.

The Sale of Goods Act

If you buy goods from a trader, The Sale of Goods Act says they must conform to contract and must be:

* of satisfactory quality - which means the product you buy should be reasonably reliable
* fit for purpose - which means it should perform the function you bought it to do
* as described - means it should be exactly what the trader told you it was

If something you buy doesn't meet these standards, and you return it to the seller quickly, you're entitled to a refund, replacement or repair.

The Sale of Goods Act holds true for second-hand goods as well, but takes into account that the quality should simply be what you could reasonably expect from that product, given its age and how much it has been used.

If the goods are less than six months old, it's up to the seller to prove they weren't faulty when you bought them. After six months, it's up to you. Of course, this assumes that the goods were expected to last six months.

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 20 June 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 20 June 2009, 07:26 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNudge
there are companies that do warrenties for cars with or without service history same as they will warrantee a car with up to 100,000 miles or less than 10 years old.
so tell him thats porkies! when did you buy the car if its withing a certain period not sure but like 28 days I think you can get a refund as long as it wasnt on trade terms(e.g. sold as seen) as it was faulty goods.
but dont take this as gospel.
i bought it wensday mate from yorkshire and it was advertisd as LOW MILIAGE but didnt mention anything else the sound am getting it like the one on youtube
Old 20 June 2009, 07:30 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

get a copy of the advert justincase he gets s**ty with you and check your bill of sale to see that its not sold as seen then refer to the sales of goods act if hes not playing ball!

Last edited by ScoobyNudge; 20 June 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 20 June 2009, 07:42 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNudge
get a copy of the advert justincase he gets s**ty with you and check your bill of sale to see that its not sold as seen then refer to the sales of goods act if hes not playing ball!
says nothing on the bill for that mate any idea on price ?
Old 20 June 2009, 09:55 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a proper rebuild of the engine your looking at minimum 2000. or you can get a second hand engine for 400-800 ish pounds, plus fitting.
Old 20 June 2009, 11:42 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
for a proper rebuild of the engine your looking at minimum 2000. or you can get a second hand engine for 400-800 ish pounds, plus fitting.
could i make him pay for the rebuild??
Old 20 June 2009, 11:53 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

any idea how long it would take to get the car back on the road
Old 21 June 2009, 12:10 AM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

sounds like a right ball ache,if it was not sold as seen and by a trader then you should be able to come to a agreement with the seller,depends if the trader is some back street small car lot/garage,chances are they will offer to pay half to the repairs,seen this too many times,the correct thing for them to do is give you a refund as you only got it wednesday,what did you pay for it?
Old 21 June 2009, 12:20 AM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by millwrx
sounds like a right ball ache,if it was not sold as seen and by a trader then you should be able to come to a agreement with the seller,depends if the trader is some back street small car lot/garage,chances are they will offer to pay half to the repairs,seen this too many times,the correct thing for them to do is give you a refund as you only got it wednesday,what did you pay for it?
£3000 part x with a corsa c 1.2
Old 21 June 2009, 12:21 AM
5lider
Scooby Regular

he did say when i find out whats gone wrong to ring him and he will help me out but god knows what that means

company is called priemer car sales castleford the guy was allright to be fair just pissed off that this has happened but could he of known it was about to go cos i didnt hear anything till the last min

Last edited by 5lider; 21 June 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 21 June 2009, 12:48 AM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 5lider
he did say when i find out whats gone wrong to ring him and he will help me out but god knows what that means

company is called priemer car sales castleford the guy was allright to be fair just pissed off that this has happened but could he of known it was about to go cos i didnt hear anything till the last min
hard to tell,depends how you have been driving it,lol.did he do a oil change or anything before you had it??may have had filings in the old oil?these things do just happen,i can bet you now he says he will put half to the repairs,which will be a secondhand engine plus fitting,whats the rest of the car like??put some pics up so anyone can see,is that £3000 plus your corsa?what year was the corsa and what was it worth??
Old 21 June 2009, 11:58 AM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by millwrx
hard to tell,depends how you have been driving it,lol.did he do a oil change or anything before you had it??may have had filings in the old oil?these things do just happen,i can bet you now he says he will put half to the repairs,which will be a secondhand engine plus fitting,whats the rest of the car like??put some pics up so anyone can see,is that £3000 plus your corsa?what year was the corsa and what was it worth??
i got £3500 for corsa it was a 55 plate and this is a 97 worth £2995
Old 21 June 2009, 01:18 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

am going down to the garage today to see if anyone is there today i doubt it but ya never know. i will get a video of engine and let u guys hear it
Old 21 June 2009, 01:37 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

sounds like a bigend bearing to me from what you have said
Old 21 June 2009, 03:24 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/v21060914.mp4/

this is the noise
Old 21 June 2009, 03:39 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

yep sounds like a bearing to me,i would'nt run it if i was you or it may throw a rod through the block
Old 21 June 2009, 03:53 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Will let u guys know tomorrow wat he says
Old 21 June 2009, 04:53 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

make sure you tell him youve run it on minimum 97 ron fuel (that is, i hope you have used super unleaded)
Old 21 June 2009, 06:04 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Filled it with bp ultimate mate on Friday
Old 21 June 2009, 07:37 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

if u r local to essex i no someone who can fit an engine for you,and possibly supply a engine aswell.
Old 21 June 2009, 07:47 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevin wrx
if u r local to essex i no someone who can fit an engine for you,and possibly supply a engine aswell.
Manchester mate but might be a option depending how tomorrow goes
Old 22 June 2009, 11:16 AM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Hi guys got to the garage this morning and he said it might be the big end but will have to open it to find out the cost will be around £1000 he said so am waitng for a phonecall now from him I also gave him the number for the used car lot in castleford to get in contact with him to make hin aware of the situation
Old 22 June 2009, 01:03 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Update: engine is knacked I been told cost £3000 to rebuild am now waiting on another call from the seller
Old 22 June 2009, 01:21 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

i doubt you would ever get the garage to pay for a rebuild.
your best bet is to push for a second hand engine and negotiate that they pay for some of the engine cost and that they fit it.
Old 22 June 2009, 05:07 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

hope all goes well m8 but thought id let u no i have a engine i can place my hands on if u need 1
Old 22 June 2009, 07:29 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

look stick to ur guns tell them u want it repaired at thier cost or your money and corsa back!

you have legal rights mate be tidy and stay firm if you have no joy then go to the citizens advice buraux and get free advice if you are sold goods by a trader you have a legal right to have the item fit for the job.

people give in and thats when they shaft you!
Old 22 June 2009, 07:35 PM
5lider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevin wrx
hope all goes well m8 but thought id let u no i have a engine i can place my hands on if u need 1
any idea how much ?

update:

contacted the seller many times today only to get his right hand man who is a tea boy and car vallet not a seller so no joy from him but what he did say was that the cars have a 90day warrenty by law and that this has happend before where a guy bought a vw polo engine blew up and he got his money back i also rang api who said its £1400 for a repair on my car and £2050 for a recon engine
which sounds ok i guess or if i can get my corsa back i got to mess about with insurance again and tax and log book etc etc so my question is do i get my corsa back IF thats the offer or do i say right its gonna cost £1400 for repair an have done with that and get that done what would you guys do if it was you ??????????????????????

Quick Reply: engine knocking