WRX STi type-R V6 front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2009, 05:06 PM
FiL_FeZ
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX STi type-R V6 front bumper

hey folks im new to the site

i was lookin at a type-R last nite to buy but noticed that it had a version 4 front bumper, but its a W reg version 6, i dont know much about the scoobs and was just wandering if theres anyone that could help me with this and why it would have that?

any help appreciated

cheeRS FiL_FeZ
Old 14 June 2009, 05:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Normally 2 reasons for this.
First is crash repaired and they couldnt be bothered getting a later bumper (also check headlights are the crystal type and not just the mirrored ones).
Second, its not a version 6 but has been registered as something different to what it should be.
Either way, if its got some undeclared history or is "mint" then walk away, plenty more out there

Tony
Old 14 June 2009, 07:50 PM
FiL_FeZ
Scooby Newbie

hey mate thank for the info
Old 15 June 2009, 12:51 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

As Tony says it could be crash repaired but this doesn't seem especially likely given that using the wrong parts would negatively affect the value of the car. Also, if this is the case, you know not only that it's had a front-on smash, it's not had the right parts used to fix it back up afterwards, something you need to tread carefully around, and also factor into the asking price.

Probably more likely that it is in fact a Version 3/4 with a bit of creativity used on the date of first use section on the import paperwork (hence getting it a W-plate) and the seller either knowing this and trying to pull a fast one, or else, as often happens, being a bit thick and assuming it must be a V6 because it's on a W-plate.

Either way it sounds like you need to proceed with caution around this one. Another easy visual giveaway is the location of the ignition coilpack. A 6 should have its coils mounted on the left-hand branch of the inlet manifold immediately in front of the dumpvalve. A 4 has them in the centre of the manifold immediately in front of the throttle body.

Also the dumpvalve on a 6 is bolted direct to the front of the intercooler. On a 4 it's remote and connected to the I/C with a piece of pipe.