Notices

hks air filter on classic

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2009, 12:30 PM
Scooby__Dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hks air filter on classic

hello i went out and got me a hks air filter for my classic i put it on and the car dont pull like it was and the turbo is kicking in round 2.5 revs is it because i need a re-map to suit the filter or not

thanks dan
Old 13 June 2009, 01:38 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hi Dan, there are alot of different views on this. Is it just a panel filter or an induction kit??
I've got an induction kit on my classic and although it runs ok most of the time occasionally my car will only give me half my normal boost pressure. It might not be related to the air induction kit but I'm unsure as it has always been on the car since I bought it but I'm sure that my car would benefit from a re-map and this might go away. Part of why I believe this is because of something I read the other day on here and Im quoting (not sure who wrote it);

"Those forced air induction kits lean out the mixture way too much for the warmer ambient temps...anyone fitting one needs a remap or you're going to grenade your engine with pre detination...The only thing saving your engine was the ecu's knock detection...retarding the advance and killing the boost"

This is possibly what my car may be doing (as it's inconsistent) but I'm unsure about yours (thought I'd mention this though incase it helps you mate) as you say your turbo is being affected.
David at API Impreza is a knowledgable guy who might be able to give you an idea what's wrong. He's been great helping me with my classic 96 Impreza. You could ring API Impreza on 01926 614333 or David is on this site (APIDavid).
Thought I'd chip in as know one else answered you yet. Goodluck mate, Gareth
Old 13 June 2009, 04:12 PM
Scooby__Dan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GMballistic
Hi Dan, there are alot of different views on this. Is it just a panel filter or an induction kit??
I've got an induction kit on my classic and although it runs ok most of the time occasionally my car will only give me half my normal boost pressure. It might not be related to the air induction kit but I'm unsure as it has always been on the car since I bought it but I'm sure that my car would benefit from a re-map and this might go away. Part of why I believe this is because of something I read the other day on here and Im quoting (not sure who wrote it);

"Those forced air induction kits lean out the mixture way too much for the warmer ambient temps...anyone fitting one needs a remap or you're going to grenade your engine with pre detination...The only thing saving your engine was the ecu's knock detection...retarding the advance and killing the boost"

This is possibly what my car may be doing (as it's inconsistent) but I'm unsure about yours (thought I'd mention this though incase it helps you mate) as you say your turbo is being affected.
David at API Impreza is a knowledgable guy who might be able to give you an idea what's wrong. He's been great helping me with my classic 96 Impreza. You could ring API Impreza on 01926 614333 or David is on this site (APIDavid).
Thought I'd chip in as know one else answered you yet. Goodluck mate, Gareth
yes mate its a induction kit and i think its knocking off the boost so i would guess it needs a re-map well i think im going to take it back off for now till i got the money for a re-map dont want to be damaging my engine

would i benefit from a panel filter then

thanks dan
Old 13 June 2009, 04:53 PM
Imran21
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

I have never heard anything good about the HKS induction kits. If you REALLY want to go for an induction kit go for the ones that can be mounted in the wing of the car so as to escape engine bay heat.
Or if you dont want to do that you can get the non-oil type like K&N or Zero Sports but make a heat shield for them. If you have a classic you can exchange the driver side (o/s??) mini scoop for a scoop that acts like an air duct conducting cool air while driving directly onto the filter.
But the general consensus is to stick to your OE air box as those are good for 350BHP... probably more.
Old 13 June 2009, 05:21 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Hi Dan, I'd go back to standard and an uprated panel filter if I could. I love the sound and look of my induction kit so I'm sticking with it (plus I do not have the OE box etc) and hopefully getting a re-map later this year/early next. As you've just bought this kit it's upto you though, maybe the supplier will take it back and swap you for something else/discount/refund maybe?
You wouldn't want to damage your engine and if there were no problems before then it must be your new induction kit unfortunately causing you your problems. (Unless you were really unlucky and it's something else?)
I'd go back to standard, see if that sorts your problems and if it runs fine then return the induction kit to the supplier if you can (ring them asap to let them know maybe an idea) and get an uprated panel filter.
Gareth
Old 13 June 2009, 07:55 PM
scotty01
Scooby Regular

Personally i never use cone filters on cars as the damned things only suck in hot air! Buy a standard airbox and stick a panel filter in it, it will be much better.
Old 13 June 2009, 09:08 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red on here many times that the only air filter that was any good in a scoob was apexi, there was also detailed test for flow, filtering and bhp all the top makes was, well crap and did not do what it says on the tin.
Old 13 June 2009, 09:12 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

APEXI and k&N came out on top iirc. HKS being the worst for filtration.