Notices

any classic immobiliser experts out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2009, 10:31 AM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any classic immobiliser experts out there?

Last edited by L3YMS; 31 July 2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12 June 2009, 12:10 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A: is correct.

Only the newages need to have the keys recoded, as the immob is on the ECU. On a classic of your year, it is not.

Done it myself. A: all the way
Old 12 June 2009, 02:53 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

It is right. There are plenty of others that have done it. I did it when I changed from a Prodrive ECU, to a non prodrive. Just plug and play. That was on an MY99 ecu, but the process is the same.
Old 15 June 2009, 02:05 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Well I know a swap works on UK cars. Mine was a UK, as was the person that had my old Prodrive ECU.

If I was you I would do an ECU check, to see what code the new ECU is giving you :Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading ECU Fault Codes

Then post back your findings.

I would also question the source, as the ECU may not work. The Prodrive ECU should have a pink STI sticker on it, with the ECU Code.

I've not managed to find anywhere apart from Subaru themselves, that can program a Subaru transponder chip. They will be able to write over your old key with new codes, although I personally don't think this is the problem at all.
Old 15 June 2009, 02:11 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

running for 2 secs will just be fuel left in the system, the imob wire that goes into the ecu controls the fuel pump.
your key is not actually coded itself, if you pick the end off a small chip will fall out.

if you are trying to fit a ecu from an import then it won't start as the cam and crank wires will need swapping over.

as above worth checking the source ecu out or see if you can get the chip from them and pop it into your own key

don't foget that if it's not the correct ecu and it is say an import one it could be terminal on you engine ie, incorrect map for your turbo (most jap ones don't have a td04), maybee different injector ratings etc.

hope you get sorted soon, ive had issues like this before when i tried to get rid of the airbag.

Last edited by TingTongPJ; 15 June 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 15 June 2009, 02:19 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

I was assuming it was a UK model as its a turbo 2000. But if it is an import, then I can't say if it will or wont work.

But I know the keys are coded on UK models. I had a blank Subaru key cut without being coded, and the same thing happened. it run for 2 sec before it realised the transponder wasn't there. When I done an ECU check on my PSi3, it showed code 53: Key Communication Failure.
Old 15 June 2009, 02:42 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

if your trying to run a sti ecu in a wrx wagon have you swapped your turbo and injectors already ? the sti ecu uses 440's and you have 380's as standard. also i think the sti at the time had a vf22/23 turbo.
can you not get the key chip from the seller ? they don't have to give you the key itself.
Old 15 June 2009, 02:53 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i wonder if you moved the imob/fuel pump wire for the ecu if that would help. i know you have to move it when you fit an aftermarket ecu because they don't use the imob.

just a thought have you tried msging one of the mappers such as jgm and asking them if they have come across something like this before ? might answer your question and get you sorted without having to spend loads at a scooby dealer.

hope you find your answer soon.
Old 15 June 2009, 03:11 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

My experience was based on swapping from MY99 and MY00 ECU's. The prodrive ECU I sold, MY00, I know is different to the one you have MY97/98. But I can't see why Subaru would have gone form key coded ECU's from 97/98, to not having key code ECU's 99/00, back to key coded ECU's 01 onwards.
Also, I think you will struggle to get a hold of the correct blank transponders. If you do find a place, let me know. And then you will need the Select monitor to program them, if you do know another way, let me know.

I do know someone with a select monitor, but haven't seen them for a while, I could find out.
Old 15 June 2009, 03:37 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

You are right they, don't need to be blank. I was thinking of when I tried to get a ley cutting place do overwrite on of the Subaru ones I had. They can't do it.
I do know they changed the transponder chip around 99. I can't remember the term they used for the transponder security, something 3 it was.
Old 15 June 2009, 03:39 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Crypto 3. for 99 onwards. Thats it.