Notices

Help!! Oil leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2009, 06:06 PM
jaidenthomas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Oil leak!!!

Can anyone give me some advice. I have had my Type RA for about 6 weeks now. Keeping in tradition with my good luck with cars I have developed an oil leak. I noticed that oil pressure was dropping when clutch was down and a smell of oil when stopped. I checked the level and it was very low. I have toppped it up with mobile 1 fully synthetic and the oil pressure has risen to about 80, although its flickering up and down a little. Ive noticed a small oil patch on the floor and when hot there appears to be oil burning on the left hand side where the leads go to. Are Imprezas known for leaking? Has anyone suffered a similar problem. I am booking it in for a service, cambelt and investigation asap. Until then I will be keeping a VERY close eye on the oil.
Old 10 June 2009, 06:20 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam cover gaskets do leak on the Impreza and if your having the cam belt done,get them to remove the oil pump to check the retaining screws on the back plate are tight - common problem and can cause the oil pressure to drop due to the pressurised oil leeching out of the back plate.

Mick
Old 10 June 2009, 06:26 PM
jaidenthomas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
Cam cover gaskets do leak on the Impreza and if your having the cam belt done,get them to remove the oil pump to check the retaining screws on the back plate are tight - common problem and can cause the oil pressure to drop due to the pressurised oil leeching out of the back plate.

Mick

Thanks. I hope you are right.

Luke
Old 11 June 2009, 07:02 PM
mattyk
Scooby Newbie

hi, i am having the same problem at the min. and only just got my 2002 wrx. annoyed isnt the word!

get a hot oil smell when stopped and smoke (blue-ish) when i have had a good run coming up and out of the bonnet and down the left hand side underneath the car. Im very worried but told over the phone by xtreme scoobies that it may well be a rockerhead seal or a crank seal so booked it in for saturday to be checked.

does anyone know how much for a service in essex area? ive seen services for £750 which is a little bit too expensive for me.....anyone know of a competitve good quality garage?

many thanks