Notices

Living with a dash dodging cage....???

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2009, 11:05 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Living with a dash dodging cage....???

Hello,

Just want to create a slightly different thread from the others ive read/posted in regarding cages.

Now, i just cant bring myself to strip out my scoob and turn it into a hardcore track machine. And im increasingly wanting a cage..

so..

How many of you have cages which dont destroy the dash, and can fit with the interiour still in, how are they on the road?

I cant help but notice, even with the cage and my helmet on, my head is very close to the roof/side. ..

So whats people experiances of living with the caged scooby....

thanks
Old 09 June 2009, 01:47 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 09 June 2009, 06:49 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyc
I cant help but notice, even with the cage and my helmet on, my head is very close to the roof/side. ..

So whats people experiances of living with the caged scooby....
As you've already noticed, the proximity of human to unyielding metal is much more of an issue in a car with a rollcage than without. You're more likely to get injured in a minor to medium traffic collision with one of these things fitted than without one. The only point at which they become a benefit is if you have an accident with enough energy to seriously deform the standard bodyshell - and that's a pretty big accident by anyone's estimation. You're far more likely to have a relatively slow/low speed shunt on the road than you are to go off in a major way.

Cages are a bad idea and actually reduce occupant safety, unless you're suitably helmeted and harnessed and are participating in an activity where a genuine fast accident/roll is a likely outcome - i.e. on the track or another form of motorsport. I know what you're saying about trying to balance the needs of a daily driver with a track car, but this is one of those deals where having a cage in a car you drive every day is probably more likely to do more harm than good.

Last edited by Splitpin; 09 June 2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09 June 2009, 07:01 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

ok. are the bolt in cages removable for the part where the drivers heads would be? Not to bothered about rear passengers.

All i want is to stop the roof caving in if i roll. Not to worried about big impacts, its just the rolling i want protection for...

As there no light weight anti roll option rather than a full impact cage? Im not convinced a normal roof would offer any protection if i rolled on track ...
Old 09 June 2009, 08:26 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Right- just posted a long response and lost it. In short, Scooby clinic do 6 point dash dodger cages, that leave you with your interior, although back seat needs a little work.

Bolt in cages do remove, but its a right pain- and bolt in only means they bolt to the metal plates you have to weld into the car, so you need pro fitting.

Mine is padded all round, and OK, but I also have FIA spec seats, which means I dont move around as much- them plus harness will make the world of difference!

I also have yellowstuff pads as they dont melt on the track, and a baffled sump on order.
Old 10 June 2009, 10:55 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Yeah harnesses are something i need to get too. My head hit the a pillar at a recent crash at donny (i wasnt driving). Yeah im find with it being welded plates. Was wondering what the reality was for the front part to be removable. How long are we talking about. Id only need the cage in once every month or so. How much work are we takling about?

Again with the front section removed, would there still be added protection to stop the roof collapsing?

Im 50-50 on the cage idea. It would be nice to go flat out on track. but not sure im willing to compromise its road use..

So does anyone live with a cage here for road driving too? Is the padding on the cage enough protect yourself a little in a crash without a helmet? Is it a pain in the **** having it? or does it kinda fit neatly into the car and keep functionality?
Old 11 June 2009, 12:42 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 11 June 2009, 01:48 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

You may also find that insurance companies will not insure you with a cage in the car on the road... best to check with them first before going any further
Old 12 June 2009, 03:42 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Yeah. Im with richar eggar insurance. Need to think about it more as its a big outlay for a cheap car. This is jsut prelim research really.