Notices

classic goes flat around 5000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 09:33 AM
jurassicreps
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic goes flat around 5000 rpm

my 99 uk goes flat around 5000 rpm, almost like the turbo stops boosting. anyone know what this could be? fitted with fmic, full de cat system, induction kit and scooby clinic dumper. cant hear any air leaks, checked all clamps and hoses.
could it just be crying for a remap?
pulls very well up to 5000 rpm.
Old 05 June 2009, 09:51 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

What turbo? Has it been remapped since fitting FMIC?
Old 05 June 2009, 09:52 AM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Hi,

It might be the first stage of limp mode, where the ECU restricts boost to 0.5 bar.

Obviously the second stage of this is the restriction of the revs, but I have had similar issues and it has been the ECU even without it throwing up a CEL.

Connect the read connectors and see if there are any errors present on the ECU. Mine then did report some error codes, but would not light up the CEL

Might not be this, but maybe worth checking.

Jason
Old 05 June 2009, 09:59 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i would agree with jsh1

needs mapping !

before you go down the mapping route change the turbo. td04 will only see you up to a maximum of 280/290bhp. have a look for a vf35 or simlar you should see well over 300bhp then it's money well spent.
Old 05 June 2009, 10:25 AM
jurassicreps
Scooby Regular

turbo is standard, today is the 1st time i have driven the car as i was banned untill today. the guy who delivered the car to me said that he felt slight hesitation when he picked it up but as i didnt drive it im not sure how bad it was. none of the mods were done before he picked it up, it was a standard car apart from walbro pump and yellow injectors.
Old 05 June 2009, 11:43 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jurassicreps
turbo is standard, today is the 1st time i have driven the car as i was banned untill today.
Confucious might say something about getting your feet back under the table a little more gently but that's another conversation for another day.

it was a standard car apart from walbro pump and yellow injectors.
Have you just bought this car? If so, do you have any knowledge of its history as too many things just don't add up here. For starters MY99-00 UK engines have yellow 440cc injectors as standard, why do you think they're aftermarket?

Secondly the other modifications, if the rest of the engine really is standard, just don't make any sense, they'd make things worse. There's simply no point fitting a front mount intercooler and an induction kit, or the uprated fuel pump (and the aftermarket DV come to that) on an otherwise stock engine. The greater induction tract volume would dull the throttle response (while the TD04 simply doesn't move enough air to take advantage of an FMIC) while the wrong induction kit could either throw the MAF scaling out, bugger the MAF sensor itself, or both. That could be the cause of the apparent flat spot you're experiencing - and if it is, you should be wary of the knock that's likely to be accompanying it.

The fuel pump should theoretically be a simple waste of money as the existing FPR and fuelling map will be done with the OE pump in mind, so either there'll be no difference at all or it'll run over-rich. There's just no logic to any of these changes, if, as you suggest, the engine is otherwise standard.

There are too many questionmarks here for us to accurately answer your original query, you need to get it looked at properly by someone who can work out what you've got and what's going on.. Are you sure it's running the standard turbo and map (or that there's no aftermarket boost control fitted?

JSH's advice is correct in the first instance, but there really isn't much any of us can say via the internet. If you really want to find out whether it's running right or wrong, it needs first hand attention. If the list of mods you know about makes any sense, one would expect to find a non-standard turbo, or at very least some method of altering the boost/fuelling/etc to take advantage of them.

Does it have a boost gauge, incidentally? If you reckon it's losing boost at around 5000rpm, that'd be the conclusive way to tell. It'd also give you a good idea whether or not it's boosting to the standard 0.94bar target the rest of the time.

Last edited by Splitpin; 05 June 2009 at 11:51 AM.