Notices

Ignition barrel advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2009, 11:37 AM
welshwales
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition barrel advice please

I have a 01 registered classic shape 2.0 Sport estate. Recently I have noticed a problem whereby you can pull the key out of the ignition whilst the engine is running.

I heard this is sometimes a common fault where the barrel doesnt grip the key anymore and is either stuck with gunk or needs a bit of forcing.

My main dealer quoted my £400 to fit a new barrel and supply new keys for ignition only. I think this is a bit pricey though I have no idea of what this costs so it could be right

So my question is, what are my options here? Is this type of problem easy to fix? Also if I can source my own ignition and keys what problems am I likely to see (ECU etc...)?
Old 04 June 2009, 01:04 PM
kingmikeyuk
Scooby Regular

Dont know where you live , i got a new barrel and keys from main dealers in cirencester for £180 ish , easy to fit yourself , just be careful cutting out the old bolts, i have got a 1996 import but cant imagine theres much difference.
Old 04 June 2009, 02:20 PM
welshwales
Scooby Newbie

When you say easy to fit what is exactly involved? I understand the bolts have to be sheered off as there is no ends to turn. When fitting new bolts I take it they are just normal nut and bolt?

Also does anything need to be reprogrammed or can I just take the chip from my current key and plant it in the new key?
Old 05 June 2009, 01:15 PM
kingmikeyuk
Scooby Regular

sorry gonna have to plead ignorant on that style of ignition , obviously is different to my ignition setup ( being older etc) , from memory i had to drill out what was left of the original sheared off bolt heads , i did get replacement bolts with the new one but i didnt use them , i used a socket head bolt that if required i could remove in the future, maybe someone else will answer the chippy key problem.