Notices

Inner CV boot replacement !

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2009, 05:39 AM
ian.b
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner CV boot replacement !

Hi can anyone spare some knowledge on how to replace a inner CV boot on the drivers side please. I noticed it when I done a general check on my car, as I normally do . I called Subaru main dealer and they got the boot on the shelf for me for £14.50 with the bands inner large and small. I also asked how much a new drive shaft would cost just in case. Am I being shafted or what ! when he told me the price £395. Is this steep or about right ? whats the labour time and price to fit the boot ? one guarage said it would cost me £90 to fit including the part. So I told him I can get the part for him, he got back on his comuter and said ok if you get the part it will cost £92 oh and another garage told me it would cost £45 to fit. If anyone has got pics on how to replace it for the future I would be greatfull. The car is a NEWAGE SUBARU WRX 2.0 TURBO BLOB EYE 2003 (53) thanks
Old 04 June 2009, 12:15 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

I can't see the subaru being any different to other cars.
You will have to take the driveshaft out of the diff / gearbox, which means you'll have drain and replace the fluid. Once the shaft is out, you remove the old boot and gently tap the CV joint off the end of the driveshaft, the joint is held on by a circlip which will snap if you're not carefully!! Once the joint is off then fit the new boot, repack the cv joint with grease, fit the circlip back onto the end of driveshaft (ideally get a new one) and gently tap the CV joint onto the end of the shaft. Finally, fit the bands while making sure there is no excess air in the boot.

Place the shaft back into the diff / gearbox and hub, once all the bolts are tightened then refill the fluids.

Rich.
Old 04 June 2009, 12:49 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

can you not get a universal split cv boot save you having to take the driveshaft out.
Old 04 June 2009, 02:32 PM
ian.b
BANNED

I went and got the cv boot done today £51 not to bad, was going to do my self but its too hot thanks for the replies
Old 04 June 2009, 10:46 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacytt
can you not get a universal split cv boot save you having to take the driveshaft out.
You can get a split boot which zips up like a sandwich bag. You can also buy expandable ones that stretch over the the whole cv joint. Never tried any of them though.