Notices

Speedo cable help

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2009, 10:23 PM
b4nk51e
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo cable help

Hi this is my first post so will say hello before I start asking for help.

Hello

Right here we go. I have a 1995 jap imported wrx of which the speedo packed up! then the check engine light came on which I believe is what should have happened. I removed the clocks from the dash & took it for a quick spin to see if cable for speedo was spinning around to give me an idea what was at fault, it wasn't moving. I removed the cable from it's cover it check if it was in one piece & it looks fine, one end has quite a long square shaft that goes into dials other end has a stumppier square shaft with a collar which I presume is to stop you pushing it in to far the gearbox end. I've even put the cable into the tube that comes out the gearbox & held the cable from under the bonnet while my other half drove it up the road running along side but still not spinning (neighbours must have wondered what the hell I was doing) I can't unbolt the tube from the gearbox as I can't get a spanner onto it no matter what I try. any ideas? or am I sending it to a garage?

Sorry to rattle on & thanks in advance

John
Old 04 June 2009, 01:20 AM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

hi John,

The Short section on the gearbox is almost certainly your Issue. it is a 17mm spanner that's needed to undo it...

it is very common to go... and can be bought for £58 from Import Car Parts.

Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX Lower Speedo Cable

Subaru is around £65
Old 04 June 2009, 01:42 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Welcome John.

I to have an early import but on the tube coming from the gearbox i have a convertor (kmph to mph) looks like this one Nissan Mechanical Speedo Convertor. Brand new !!!! on eBay, also, Nissan, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 08-Jun-09 11:49:12 BST)

Just wondering if you have the same then it could be the gearing in this that is at fault Just a thought

Last edited by Glowplug; 04 June 2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04 June 2009, 09:12 AM
b4nk51e
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies I don't have any kind of converter on mine it's just had a face put over the speedo gauge to convert it to mph goes up to 120mph. I will purchase the lower section of the speedo cable & have another go at trying to take it off.