Notices

Should You/Do You Have to.....Vent Catch Cans?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2009, 11:38 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should You/Do You Have to.....Vent Catch Cans?

Me and my friend Dave aren't too sure about this...

He has a Hyperflow Catch tank, which is the best I've seen to be honest, and this has a VTA outlet, which he takes past the gear box under so doesn't get any smells. But costs a lot.

I bought a D1 Spec Catch Can which is just like any other out there with 2 inlets on. I was planning to put both rocker breathers in to one, then something from the middle of the engine (not too clued up) in to the other inlet, and blank off the PCV. Which works spot on for Dave, but he as the vent.

Do you Need some form of vent to get everything moving? As if the catch tank got to the same pressure as the rocker breathers (which it maybe would with no breather?), surely there wouldn't be any oil movement?

I thought NOT breathing it would be ok until I spoke to Dave and he got me thinking.

What's the truth behind this?

Cheers
Old 30 May 2009, 11:55 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

If you don't vent the can then its pointless having one. Also you have to vent head and crank case pressures somewhere. If you have both breathers feeding to a catch can without the catch can venting then you will get a build up of pressure to the point it will blow a hose of, or blow your crank case oil seal out. Either way you'll get a **** load of oil everywhere and probably a f*cked engine. Your mate has done it correctly.

To solve your problem, you can run the two head breathers to a T peice then run the crank case breather to another T that attaches to the run off from the head T peice. Thus you have 3 hoses T'd into one that runs back to the catch can you then use the second fitting from your catch can as a breather and run a hose to the middle of the underneath of the car.

If you don't let an engine breath you're going to have problems!!
Old 31 May 2009, 06:59 AM
EJ22 LAD
Scooby Regular

i got 1 on mine, the 2 crankcase breathers are into a tee piece and then into catch can, then have a hose going down inner wing,as above, blocking the breathers will **** ur engine
Old 31 May 2009, 08:25 AM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
If you don't vent the can then its pointless having one. Also you have to vent head and crank case pressures somewhere. If you have both breathers feeding to a catch can without the catch can venting then you will get a build up of pressure to the point it will blow a hose of, or blow your crank case oil seal out. Either way you'll get a **** load of oil everywhere and probably a f*cked engine. Your mate has done it correctly.

To solve your problem, you can run the two head breathers to a T peice then run the crank case breather to another T that attaches to the run off from the head T peice. Thus you have 3 hoses T'd into one that runs back to the catch can you then use the second fitting from your catch can as a breather and run a hose to the middle of the underneath of the car.

If you don't let an engine breath you're going to have problems!!

This is exactly how I have mine too. Im yet to move my breather, for now its in the bay but I do get the smell of oil so its a good idea to locate under the chasis somewhere!

Tucker
Old 01 June 2009, 07:30 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Ok, thanks a lot guys!

A friend said they didn't need venting, so I just took his word for it. Will be modding my catch can, and running a hose now!

Cheers