Notices

squeak from front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2009, 11:24 AM
andre_k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeak from front brakes

my 98 classic has an annoying squeak coming from the front brakes, it doesnt do it when braking, or when driving around town, but if i go onto a motorway or another road with high speed they start to squeal like mad (when not braking). it squeaks when goins straight or turning left, but not when turning right.

it did it when i bought it, then to rectify it i put new calipers/discs/pads off a mates car (all only a month old), yet it still does it! i think its the front nearside brake.

any ideas what it could be?
Old 25 May 2009, 06:15 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

Might wanna check the backing plate isn't fouling the disc. Wind could be making it touch the disc at higher speeds.
Old 25 May 2009, 07:23 PM
andre_k
Scooby Regular

will have a look tomoz, anything else to look for? bear in mind its doing it with new pads calipers etc
Old 25 May 2009, 07:35 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

Seems a bit strange that its doing it when not braking! The only other thing I can think of is that its actually the rear brakes. Check all the discs for pollish marks where sumink might be contacting causing the squeek, if you cant see anything it could be that when there is heat in the brakes its causing the handbrake shoe's inside the rear discs (not the pads!) to expand and rub constantly. I would deadjust the handbrake shoe's remove the rear discs, clean the handbrake shoe's or replace if worn, clean inside the disc, refit and adjust, but not too tight cus you might get the same problem. Failing that maybe its not the brakes, rattles and squeeks are a b!tch to narrow down as the noise travels thru the car making them hard to pin point!
Old 25 May 2009, 07:55 PM
andre_k
Scooby Regular

the noise stops when i brake though, and im certain its from the front
Old 25 May 2009, 08:03 PM
stephen beynon
Scooby Regular

mine is doing the same thing mate but ou may think its the front but it is the rear left it could be you hand break shoes mate as that is my problem i am sure
Old 25 May 2009, 08:16 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

OK, even tho you've put semi new parts on her there still might be a lip on the outter and inner part of the disc. When cold feel the discs and see if you can feel lip on outside edge and even maybe innerside edge on both sides of both discs, if so grinde it down flush with rest of disc but dont go at it like a bull in a china shop!! A die grinder is best. Without looking myself cant really suggest much else i'm afraid bud! Good luck.