Notices

1998 UK 2000 Turbo AWD Steam from middle area of engine???

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2009, 11:58 AM
magicmart123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 UK 2000 Turbo AWD Steam from middle area of engine???

Hi folks.

I'm new to this forum and new to Subaru ownership. I have had my 98 Impreza Turbo for a fortnight and the other day after a little brisk driving (not caning it though), I noticed a little steam and a hot oily smell coming from the scoop when I pulled up at a drive through. The temperature guage was where it always is (in the middle) and the car was driving fine apart from the steam and oily smell. When I had a look underneath the car thinking it could possibly be a radiator/hose leak, I noticed that it seemed to be coming from the middle area of the engine and more over towards the turbo but I couldn't see any evidence of leakage apart from the steam.

I have searched the forum and I did find a one similar thread but the guy said that his problem only exhibited itself after switching the vehicle off whereas mine begins to become noticeable when I pull up whilst waiting a minute before I switch the vehicle off...so I'm worried that it may actually be happening whilst I'm driving along but I wouldn't notice it because it is just getting blown away.

It did it again today on a journey of 6 miles and when I arrived at my destination there was the steam from the scoop so when I drove back home I just cruised it changing up at like 2500 to 3000 rpm and then when I arrived back home there was no steam

Is this a problem that anyone else has encountered because it only seems to do it if I have been driving at say over 4000rpm. If I just poodle about, it doesn't happen so I'm a little confused but am going to check the hoses/pipes around the expansion tank after it has cooled down just to be on the safe side.

Any advice is most gratefully appreciated
Old 24 May 2009, 12:43 PM
clark822
Scooby Regular

Have you checked all your hoses ? Oil blow through off the top mount- maybe drive it till it happens and get a mate to hold it at the revs to see if you can see any thing ?
Old 24 May 2009, 04:38 PM
nathanstone
Scooby Regular

do you have any heatwrap in there? my up pipe has been giving off abit of smoke/steam since i had it fitted with the heat wrap
Old 24 May 2009, 05:56 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

If it smells oily then your looking for an oil leak. Is your intercooler still mounted under the scoop? If so you might find you have a split in the intercooler, oil will weep thru, steam off and smell!! To check this just look at your intercooler and see if there is a fine film of oil coated on it somewhere (you'll find that a split intercooler wont affect the oil level very much at all, unless your turbo is f!*ked and passing lots of oil! You mite even have a split boost pipe. This is probably why it only happens after drivin hard cus boost pressure is pushing the oil out! If it smells sweet then its a coolant leak!! You should notice a coolant leak quite easily, where its contacting the outside of the engine and burning off, it will leave a stain on the engine. The temp gauge mite not go up if its a small weep but when the level drops enough you'll cook the engine in a blink!! Check your oil level and water level before your next drive and take note of exactly where the levels are. After your drive (quite a few miles) recheck the levels (for coolant, leave to cool for a bit!! It will spit out and BURN you!!) This will show you if its an oil or water leak. Also look for drip marks on your drive way where you park. Good luck, av fun and if unsure take it to a garage.

Last edited by Hobstar82; 24 May 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 25 May 2009, 08:27 AM
magicmart123
Scooby Newbie

Hello again folks. Thanks for the info.

Just popped out this morning full of morning enthusiasm with the vehicle totally cold and began checking it over for coolant or oil loss and split pipes etc. Couldn't see anything obvious so started the car and ran it up for a while and let the fans cut in a couple of times. I then revved it to around 3000rpm but to be honest nothing really happened.

I bought the car from a friend and he did say he thought there was a problem with the rad leaking and did supply another rad at time of sale but I checked the coolant levels every morning and everything seemed to be in order so I left things as they were.

I will take it up the road later and see if the problem presents itself as it only really seems to happen after you've been on the boost for a bit. But I can't see that it's anything too major as it doesn't affect the way the car runs, there's no dodgy smoke out the back or anything and the temperature hand remains steady at halfway so I'll just wait until it does it again and quickly try and see if I can find the source of the steam.

Cheers folks
Old 25 May 2009, 08:36 PM
98myturbo
Scooby Newbie

Hi there, hope this is of some use. I have a 98 uk turbo and get the same oil burning smell and have been told that it is quite common for classics to leek a bit of oil from the rocker cover on the drivers side this oil lands on the exhaust manifold and burns when manifold gets hot. I've had mine for three years now and if it is the same problem then nothing really to worry about.