Water collecting in the boot...

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2002, 10:22 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all

Cleared everything out of the boot on my MY00 this weekend, and when I lifted the spare wheel out it was sitting in around 2" of water.

I've noticed a wet patch before on the left hand side of the boot as you look at it from the rear, just beside where the bootline drops down to the bottom corner. I took out a couple of the boot panels to see where it was coming from and although I now know where it is entering the boot floor (through an unsealed panel join which runs vertically down the inside of the boot) I can't see how it is actually getting past the boot seal itself.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Any ideas on how to sort it?

Whip
Old 04 March 2002, 10:45 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

A tenner says its the seal on the rear light cluster that is causing the problem.
Old 04 March 2002, 11:00 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't take that bet!
Just had exactly the same on mine, you will also find a nice puddle in the area where the jack sits.
You need to get the light out which can be a bit hard depending on how much mastic is left attached.
If you you can warm up the area is may help ease the mastic up a bit, I just kept pulling mine and hitting the screws with a hammer, probably not the best way but I was determined to get the bugger out!
When you clean off all the old goo off the car and the light use plenty of mastic, someone else suggested bath sealant as well to make sure you get a good seal.
Old 04 March 2002, 11:29 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

That would make sense (water leaking through the light seal) as I couldn't see any way that it could get past the boot seal, and the drain path around the boot seems good enough.

I will check it out when I get home, the only panel I didn't have out was the one covering the jack! Typical!!

Whip