Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2009, 06:59 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question '05 STi questions

Hi,

Thinking of buying the above, couple if questions if I may,

When should the 1st cambelt change happen, age or mileage?

The PPP certificate - do they come directly from Prodrive or are some stamped from WRSport?

Does PPP include the PPP spring kit geometry, or was this an added extra?

TIA.
Old 18 May 2009, 07:20 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When should the 1st cambelt change happen, age or mileage? - 60months or 50K miles

The PPP certificate - do they come directly from Prodrive or are some stamped from WRSport? - dont know

Does PPP include the PPP spring kit geometry, or was this an added extra? - Im sure springs were not included

Hope this helps, im sure somebody with a PPP car will be along shortly to help with the PPP questions

Graeme
Old 18 May 2009, 07:46 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

the spring kit is an option all on it's own. i think the geometry settings to a Prodrive setting are done by the fitting dealer.

not sure about the certificate, without looking i think my Prodrive springs came with a sticker with WRSport on so i wouldn't be alarmed if it has one or the other on the cert

gmac is spot on with the cambelt, so you've got a little longer before you have to worry about it. plus i'm pretty sure that service is only oil and cambelt change so it shouldn't be too dear, well until they add on the obligatory tensioner anyway
Old 18 May 2009, 08:20 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Cool, thanks alot guys.
Old 18 May 2009, 08:30 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Oh and is 11K for a 40k '05 STi PPP a fair price?
19" alloys
5months warranty left
5months MOT
Tax due next month.

Not a bargain possibly, but about right yes?
Old 18 May 2009, 08:53 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Oh and is 11K for a 40k '05 STi PPP a fair price?
19" alloys
5months warranty left
5months MOT
Tax due next month.

Not a bargain possibly, but about right yes?
about right, probably £500 over the top with the tax and short(ish) mot. doom and gloomers will say less but 2nd hand prices have improved no end recently (yup, even scoobies!!)
those 19's will knacker the handling though saying that a bit of wheeler dealing on ebay could put a bit more money in your pocket

lots of choice out there though for that sort of budget
Old 18 May 2009, 09:05 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Well I took it for a test drive today and it handled very well indeed. Agreed I thought it was a little bit overpriced, I will haggle against the tax to get it down to 10.7K It does have a nasty 3" key mark on one door n a few marks on the rear bumper that will need doing, but I'm going to have to live with that n fork out a few hundred to fix it later. The seller was pretty adament on the price and as it's local to me, I'm not going to push him too much.

You say lots of choice, but there's nothing near me for this money, age n mileage. In fact there's not alot of competition on autotrader or pistonheads.
Old 18 May 2009, 09:50 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Well I took it for a test drive today and it handled very well indeed. Agreed I thought it was a little bit overpriced, I will haggle against the tax to get it down to 10.7K It does have a nasty 3" key mark on one door n a few marks on the rear bumper that will need doing, but I'm going to have to live with that n fork out a few hundred to fix it later. The seller was pretty adament on the price and as it's local to me, I'm not going to push him too much.

You say lots of choice, but there's nothing near me for this money, age n mileage. In fact there's not alot of competition on autotrader or pistonheads.
i'll be honest i've only looked at local sales recently, shame there's nothing more up your way.

i'd always read that anything over 18" can comprimise the handling and ride has it been lowered at all?

either way if it ticks all your boxes go for it

shame about the marks, but it's a used car at the end of the day and we could all finds chips and scratches no matter how mint we think our cars are

so is it a PPP then? any other mods?

just had a quick look on autotrader. you're not wrong mate, there's **** all on there! where have all the scoobies gone

Last edited by hoskib; 18 May 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 18 May 2009, 10:32 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Don't think it's been lowered, but it does sit quite low at the rear, that's probably just the wheel size though. It's here;

Subaru : REDUCED WRX STi TYPE UK PPP

Yep PPP, no other mods, it's been left alone, which is nice. A good base for more mods

Last edited by bioforger; 18 May 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 19 May 2009, 06:34 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Don't think it's been lowered, but it does sit quite low at the rear, that's probably just the wheel size though. It's here;

Subaru : REDUCED WRX STi TYPE UK PPP

Yep PPP, no other mods, it's been left alone, which is nice. A good base for more mods
i do like that colour looks a nice, clean example and the PPP cars fetch a better price so it's getting nearer the right price. i do think if pushed he'd drop a bit more though, it's at the top end of the price bracket and hasn't gone after a month with a few good bargaining points.

throw in a low price and walk away, you can always go back. funny how people react with pound notes waved in front of them

then again, we're only talking of a couple hundred quid. if it's within your budget bite his arm off to the little toe before it goes
Old 19 May 2009, 07:16 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Amen to that, I've put in an offer (11k) which hes accepted. A couple of things need doing by the seller, like a new windscreen due to a big chip and plates need xferring back over from the private ones. Otherwise I'm good to go. He will absolutely not move on the price, I really have tried lol. Getting a tank of fuel though

Last edited by bioforger; 19 May 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 19 May 2009, 07:55 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Amen to that, I've put in an offer (11k) which hes accepted. A couple of things need doing by the seller, like a new windscreen due to a big chip and plates need xferring back over from the private ones. Otherwise I'm good to go. He will absolutely not move on the price, I really have tried lol. Getting a tank of fuel though

what exhaust is on it mate? looks like a blitz or a TSL frestorm? either way the neighbours will love your new arrival

Last edited by hoskib; 19 May 2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 19 May 2009, 08:28 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

He doesn't know I think it's a blitz, yes it's pretty loud from outside
Old 19 May 2009, 08:37 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Oh yea and the payment. I've never paid a private seller this kind of sum before, so what's the safest way of going about it? I was going to do a bank to bank online transfer. But if he decided to emigrate with scoob in tow, I have no protection and the cash would be lost I would of thought. I don't have any reason to doubt the guy, he seems honest enough, I have his mobile number and know where he works etc. But call me paranoid

My visa/cc company can't do anything unless he has a cc console.

So any safer ways of making the payment?

Or is it just a risk you have to take?

Last edited by bioforger; 19 May 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 19 May 2009, 09:06 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Oh yea and the payment. I've never paid a private seller this kind of sum before, so what's the safest way of going about it? I was going to do a bank to bank online transfer. But if he decided to emigrate with scoob in tow, I have no protection and the cash would be lost I would of thought. I don't have any reason to doubt the guy, he seems honest enough, I have his mobile number and know where he works etc. But call me paranoid

My visa/cc company can't do anything unless he has a cc console.

So any safer ways of making the payment?

Or is it just a risk you have to take?
is he not happy with a bankers draft? you could cash or bank transfer a deposit, then take the draft with you to pick the car up.

or good old fashioned pound notes. tepends how good your ticker is though, i drove 250 miles to get mine with over 10 grand in my back pocket. paranoid was not the word but then the rest was a draft so i guess in that case the seller was taking the risk.

it's a trust thing either way, you could both go to your bank and do a transfer then go back to his and get the car. same sort of scenerio with the draft. he knows the money is as good as in his account and you drive away in the car
Old 19 May 2009, 09:16 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Bankers draft needs to go through clearing so will take time, it's no guarantee either.

Good idea though trip to the bank, let him see the xfer being done, drive home in new car

Oh and your STi is lovely, really rare in white, looks great.

Last edited by bioforger; 19 May 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 19 May 2009, 09:39 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Bankers draft needs to go through clearing so will take time, it's no guarantee either.

Good idea though trip to the bank, let him see the xfer being done, drive home in new car

Oh and your STi is lovely, really rare in white, looks great.
cheers, yup it's a rare beastie

i think a transfer would take a certain amount of time to clear in his account aswell, but there's no way to cancel that (as far as i'm aware).

a mix of this and some cash deposit and i can't see how he wouldn't be happy
Old 19 May 2009, 10:42 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

congratulations on your new car (almost)

Good to see you have gone for the best and fastest colour

bankers draft should be good if he is happy with that.

Graeme
Old 19 May 2009, 11:09 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G.Mac
congratulations on your new car (almost)

Good to see you have gone for the best and fastest colour

bankers draft should be good if he is happy with that.

Graeme
Cheers, you're not biased of course? Dam that's got some nice mods to
Old 01 June 2009, 12:17 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Servicing, is it every 12mnths or 10K on these? Or better to do a normal service every 6K or 6months?

And is it worth remapping a PPP car to try and gain more power n torque?
Old 01 June 2009, 04:20 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Servicing every 12 months / 10K according to the manual - which should be fine if you use a good synthetic oil like Motul or Silkolene.

Definitely worth remapping the car. Bob Rawle is in your part of the world.

Only one warning with the A-DCCD, don't lift off suddenly when cornering at speed ... otherwise, Enjoy!
Old 01 June 2009, 06:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Old 02 June 2009, 08:20 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Looks very much like the one I bought a few weeks ago, in the same area for roughly the same price (JDM with US short block).

Yours has a few more badges on the back but exhaust looks similar to the Milltek on mine. Does it have folding wing mirrors ?
Old 02 June 2009, 07:00 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Cool Stanmo, I probably would of looked at that one if you hadn't bought it to Mine is a type UK STi PPP. Yea, they all have folding mirrors don't they?

Dunno if it's due to the heat, but mine has started knocking at the rear, the infamous suspension strut problem, typical. Looks like it will be booked into the dealer next week then
Old 03 June 2009, 09:11 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Cool Stanmo, I probably would of looked at that one if you hadn't bought it to Mine is a type UK STi PPP. Yea, they all have folding mirrors don't they?

Dunno if it's due to the heat, but mine has started knocking at the rear, the infamous suspension strut problem, typical. Looks like it will be booked into the dealer next week then

If you haven't got an extended warranty, I wouldn't bother with getting your shocks replaced at a dealer (they are very expensive and you will probably have the same problem in a few years again). Might be worth considering some BC coilovers (which are cheaper iirc), or if you can afford it some exe-tc (which are quite a bit more expensive but very good). Otherwise try pick up a cheap set of second hand low mileage struts from and 05 or 06 car which aren't knocking yet and keep your fingers crossed.
Old 03 June 2009, 06:06 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Yea it's under warranty mate. And they are going to replace them with the revised struts which cure the issue.