Intercooler pipes and boosting?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2009, 08:31 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler pipes and boosting?

I swapped the intercooler piping on my MY00 Uk Turbo on the weekend for the STi piping, as its apparently a lot more efficient.

However, when refitting the intercooler I had trouble getting the new pipe onto the turbo mainly due to the samco pipe being thicker and the jubilee clip is not quite big enough.

So as the turbo is being swapped over on Thursday I thought it would do until then.

At the moment its not boosting properly and I am hoping its just because there isn't a perfect seal to the turbo?

Its not overboosting, just makes a noise and not boosting only when about 4k with quite a bit of throttle.

Would I be right in saying its just as its not sealed properly and under load releasing air (hence the noise) and not boosting properly? Does that sound right?

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 12 May 2009, 02:15 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Question: Have you been able to actually tighten the jubilee clip on the I/C hose elbow onto the turbo outlet?

If you have, then there should be a seal. If there's a seal, then the source of the apparent air leak is a bit of a mystery and you should track it down. Is it possible that the link softpipe between the two cast STi bits is loose, or that there's a leak on one or both of the joints to the I/C itself? Have you used the gaskets on these two joints?

If your old jubilee clip wasn't big enough to actually nip up at all on the new thicker pipe, then yes, you will almost certainly be leaking air under boost (and possibly sucking it in under vacuum).

Either way you're far better placed than us to work out what the issue is as you're the only one who can actually look under your bonnet, and determine how tight the various joints are.
Old 12 May 2009, 03:07 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No I haven't been able to tighten it, as I can't properly get it over the turbo outlet.

I was fiddling around with it, considering going to get a bigger jubille clip when I realised that it would be coming off Thursday anyway.

So its not completely sealed, so would that cause the symptoms I am seeing?

It makes an induction type noise and stops boosting but only under plenty of throttle and revs.

The rest of the intercooler pipes are fine, the metal to Samco joins are good as are the intercooler to metal joins - yes I managed to use the old gaskets which again were in good shape.

I just wanted some reassurance really that if it leaked it would cause the symptoms I am seeing.

Cheers for your reply btw

Last edited by StiX; 12 May 2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12 May 2009, 11:39 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiX
I was fiddling around with it, considering going to get a bigger jubille clip when I realised that it would be coming off Thursday anyway.
You're still going to need the bigger jubilee clip when everything gets swapped on Thursday aren't you? If so, get one tomorrow and stick it on straight away. 65mm should be the right size for the STi y-pipe elbow.

So its not completely sealed, so would that cause the symptoms I am seeing?
Impossible to talk with certainty without hearing it, but, yes, it's by far the likeliest of the available explanations.

I just wanted some reassurance really that if it leaked it would cause the symptoms I am seeing.
It probably is, but you really shouldn't drive it like that. Your fuelling will be all over the place and, depending on the circumstances, there's a risk (albeit slight) of causing collateral damage to your turbo, and in turn other parts of the engine.
Old 13 May 2009, 08:20 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I will need the bigger jubilee clip yes, but to save me a trip to the motor factors I was going to ask the garage swapping the turbo.

I am driving off boost at the minute, its going in tomorrow so hopefully I am not causing any other problems.

Cheers
Old 13 May 2009, 09:07 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I was almost certain the boost problems were just due to the incorrect jubilee clip not making a decent seal but I had to try it.

So cheers Splitpin - I went and bought a bigger one and took the intercooler off and refitted it.

Hey presto - spot on
Old 15 May 2009, 01:27 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Good stuff, and doubly good prior to a hardware change that you know there's nothing more significant up. Nice one!