Notices

Advice on a potential purchase....

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2009, 12:49 PM
jimmy_wrxsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a potential purchase....

Brother in law has found a car but one or two issues with it that id like some advice please

Car is a V2 STi had a new clutch fitted around a year ago (9000 miles) and at the time had a recon'd flywheel put on there (receipts for work). At moment though seller says the flywheel could do with re-skimming.

Now im not familiar with flywheel skimming etc and asked what the problem was - he says there is Slight grinding on flywheel. Doesn't affect how it pulls but you can hear it when coasting.

Should it need re-skimming after just 9000 miles?

If so and problem is the flywheel is it worth buying a new flywheel? i have read that you can get a oem style on exchange for £100 from likes of ASPerformance? and that skimming is around £50? What would be the best route to take?

thanks
James
Old 29 April 2009, 01:04 PM
kingmikeyuk
Scooby Regular

Personally i would walk away , but if your tempted, budget for a new clutch assembly and flywheel i got exceedy clutch and new flywheel iirc £350 fitted
Old 29 April 2009, 01:05 PM
jimmy_wrxsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingmikeyuk
Personally i would walk away , but if your tempted, budget for a new clutch assembly and flywheel i got exceedy clutch and new flywheel iirc £350 fitted
Sounds good - where was that? or did you buy parts and fit yourself?
Old 29 April 2009, 01:05 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Clutch judder is quite common, but thats when you pull off, should not make any sound when fully engaged and coasting (depends what you mean by coasting).

API do an exchange lightend flyweel for very not a lot of money that gives a good improvement to feel without going too light. But as above dont think that is the problem (I am not a mechanic though).
Old 29 April 2009, 01:09 PM
jimmy_wrxsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unfeasablylargegonads
Clutch judder is quite common, but thats when you pull off, should not make any sound when fully engaged and coasting (depends what you mean by coasting).

API do an exchange lightend flyweel for very not a lot of money that gives a good improvement to feel without going too light. But as above dont think that is the problem (I am not a mechanic though).
there is Slight grinding on flywheel. Doesn't affect how it pulls but you can hear it when coasting.
That's the seller words when i asked him to describe the problem - its why i asked as seems bit odd that the recon'd flywheel would be making noise when coasting