Notices

WRX vs STi

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2009, 10:51 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX vs STi

Hi, forgive me my tresspass by steaming straight in with a question but I'm new to the Subarus and I'm on the freshold of buying one in the next day or so. I previously owned an Audi TT (mapped) that was a very nice drive but fancy the change so I'm currently in the market. I've been pleasantly surprised at the relatively low cost af the Imprezas and particularly like the Wagons so that's the way I'm heading. The cars I'm looking at are 97 (WRX),98 and 99 STi imports and all seemingly have low miles (the WRX with proof). Anyways, bottom line is am I gona regret not going straight in on the STi if I get the WRX, by which I mean is there a particularly noticeable power difference?
The 97 WRX is incidentally immaculate and all are priced between 5 and 6 K.
Once again sorry for my first post being a question but any advice would be well received.

Dave.
Old 27 April 2009, 11:01 PM
upiker2005
Scooby Regular

Lol, didn't take me long to post in the wrong section did it? Sorry.

(Very me face)
Old 28 April 2009, 09:35 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes ,imo, you may be disappointed with the WRX (that's not saying their crap) go for the STI.
I've enjoyed my early WRX saloon but am getting slightly bored of it now (especially the ever continuing cycle of wanting more power) so i'm looking to upgrade to the later model STIs.
Old 28 April 2009, 10:17 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

If you have the choice, I would always recommend the STi. They tend to use higher spec components and are more powerful from the factory than their WRX counterparts, which makes them less expensive and easier to modify (depending of course on how far you plan to take it).

It is a buyers market, so shop around, there are some real bargains to be had.
Old 28 April 2009, 10:27 AM
gallois
Scooby Regular

you wont be 'disappointed' with a WRX, which can be easily modded to perform as a STANDARD STi, but an STi can equally be easily modded to perform like a supercar...and with no disrespect to the TT, even the WRX feels like a much faster car than the TT, this may be due to the power delivery and the lighter weight, imo the TT is a more insulated and comfortable drive... The STi is a more focused machine and some say too harsh for a daily driver, others happily put up with this. The difference between the two is better brakes, more powerful engine, upgraded engine components, stiffer suspension, visually they look the same apart form badging. later ones also had adjustable center diff (DCCD). take both for a testdrive, although the WRX may leave you always wanting the STi.