Sports Cats

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2009, 08:20 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sports Cats

Not the usual question...

I've been looking at sport cats and decided that's the route I want to go because I can't bothered re-fitting the cat every MOT. When I helped fitting a decat to a hawkeye a couple of weeks ago the O2 sensor was at the top of the down-pipe and the lambda on the same section as the second cat.

On my bug the O2 sensor is in the headers. Because I don't need the threaded hole in the downpipe I was wondering whether a classic sports cat would fit or is there othere differences between the classic and newage downpipes
Old 17 April 2009, 08:34 PM
Stevie-Sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not too sure mate. I think the up-pipe fits.

i got the sports cat on my classic, with the o2 in the headers
Old 17 April 2009, 08:55 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I'm finding a lot of almost 'hybrid' bits on the bug because it was that changeover car, like my tappets, their solid and need shimming and not hydraulic like the later newages.

If it is the case with the cat I will have more choice, so if a cheap newage one came up I could bung the hole, and if the classic one came up (like one just might have done) I can use that
Old 17 April 2009, 09:16 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Jon,

I just put a bung in mine dude in the downpipe.

o2 in the headers is on the right hand side. Can be a bitch to take out unless you take the arch lining out etc.

I think the de-cats sound nice but if you buy a good Sports cat you can't go wrong mate.

I am running a sports cat on mine and it still makes a nice noise (RCM Team Ice with Lateral Performance Headers and up-pipe) and makes good power 402.5bhp.

Steve
Old 17 April 2009, 09:43 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I need to change the O2 sensor anyway as it keeps throwing a short circuit fault code on it, unless I drive it sensibly

Like I said, a classic sports cat has come up for sale for peanuts, it doesn't have the O2 sensor thread on it which I don't need, but I just wanted to make sure all of the other fittings/brackets etc would line up. I don't want to but it if the flange for the turbo is different or something stupid like that

As I have a Spec R, the sound is quite good anyway. I'm also looking at some headers as the factory ones are falling apart, and then I do need the thread on them!
Old 18 April 2009, 01:00 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I fitted a ppp downpipe on mine and that has no sensor hole, o2 is in manifold and the rear sensor is in the centre pipe.
Old 18 April 2009, 06:53 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Does anyone know if the flange for the turbo is the same for classics as for bugs and also whether or not the fixing brackets on the downpipe and centre section are the same?
Old 18 April 2009, 08:46 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing OEM downpipes, the classic is some 120mm shorter than the newage 2 piece.

Length wise, a classic sports cat d/pipe will fit a newage car so long as you also fit a classic centre section to make up for the shorter length.
However, some makes of sports cat cans will foul against a 6 spd box if you have one.
The Hayward & Scott model will be fine though.

Flanges are all the same, the only bracket issue will also be due to a 6 spd box so just bend or cut it off.

Nick
Old 18 April 2009, 08:59 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Cheers Nick, that's just what I was after. I don't have a 6-speed box so that is not an issue. As for the length, I was planning on having the 2.5" step down on my Nur Spec replaced with a 3" flange anyway to give me the 3" straight through system. I can get the length sorted at that point
Old 18 April 2009, 09:23 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're after a 3" d/pipe sports cat eh?
I so happen to have a full 3" Hayward & Scott one sized for a classic car for sale if interested

Nick
Old 18 April 2009, 09:29 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Butty
So you're after a 3" d/pipe sports cat eh?
I so happen to have a full 3" Hayward & Scott one sized for a classic car for sale if interested

Nick
Yes I am, but I can't commit to spending any cash at the moment as the wifes scenic has just thrown its 10 month old cambelt. If I can prove it was a faulty kit or poor workmanship it will be a warranty claim and I won't know that until Monday, otherwise I'm looking at a possible £2K rebuild

I'm just weighing up options at the moment as I have a remap planned later this year and I want everything in place for that