Old 25 March 2009, 01:08 PM
dbaker1980
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 Stalling Problem

Hello,

First post here!

I have a MY99 2000 Turbo.

Just had a recon engine fitted as the last one got cooked when the rad burst on the M4.

It all runs fine except one issue - when i press the clutch down at any speed the revs drop so low that the engine stalls sometimes.

I have changed MAF and this seemed to help slightly (I knew the MAF was past its best anyway). The problem is still there though.

What do you think I should look at next?

P.S. The backbox is currently blowing slightly - could this be causing it?

Thanks,

Darren
Old 25 March 2009, 08:07 PM
jenk9988
Scooby Regular

Do you have a dump to atmosphere dump valve? - maybe its that, it was on mine!! I was having the same problem
You can check this by the following -
rev your engine when stationary and see if it goes to stall, if so get a set of pliers and put them over the vacuum hose from the dump valve and then rev again and see if the problem still occurs --if it doesnt its the dump valve causing it (may need replacing or maybe just adjusting depending on type)

Otherwise could be a split in a hose or spark plugs???

Hope this helps
Old 25 March 2009, 09:22 PM
dbaker1980
Scooby Newbie

Hello,

It has the standard recirc valve on at the moment.

Can't find any vacuum leaks or split pipes.

What would be the symptoms of a failing idle control valve? And are these adjustable?

Thanks,

Darren
Old 26 March 2009, 08:10 PM
jenk9988
Scooby Regular

I think they are the same symptoms, as for be being adjustable I have a 1999 uk turbo and it is a solenoid valve compared to the pre 98 which were adjustable and you could also clean them up by squirting some brake cleaner on it (dont think it has the same effect)

While I was experiencing these problems I read it could be the MAF sensor, idle control valve, spark plugs, leads, hoses - - the list goes on and on!! I took mine to API near Southam and they sorted it straight away. If I went there in the first place i would have saved quite a bit of money.
Old 27 March 2009, 12:53 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker1980
Hello,

First post here!

I have a MY99 2000 Turbo.

Just had a recon engine fitted as the last one got cooked when the rad burst on the M4.

It all runs fine except one issue - when i press the clutch down at any speed the revs drop so low that the engine stalls sometimes.

I have changed MAF and this seemed to help slightly (I knew the MAF was past its best anyway). The problem is still there though.

What do you think I should look at next?

P.S. The backbox is currently blowing slightly - could this be causing it?

Thanks,

Darren
Idle air control valve would be a good bet, once the MAF is eliminated. BUT they are untouchable on the 99 car. No way to clean it or adjust it. Just bin it and fit another. EXCEPT they are whole weeks wages to buy and if it isn't that, you'll have wasted 240 odd quid.

You need to go somewhere where they have a selection of parts to try, assuming that a diagnostic check comes up clear, which they quite often do!.

If you are anywhere near to us at Harbury, Warks [ junction 12 M40 ] we'd be happy to take a look for you.

Good Luck - David APi
01926 614333
Old 27 March 2009, 10:16 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

if ecu check is all clear,replace the spark plugs,it is likely to be problem,i had exactly this on my motor (my99 turbo),plugs gapped correctly sorted it out and car runs and idles 100 percent better! cmon joz u know u want to
Old 31 March 2009, 11:05 AM
dbaker1980
Scooby Newbie

Hello, thanks for the suggestions.

It appears to be ok now. I noticed it only happening when the headlights were on!

I out it down to a dodgy earth or poorly charged battery (it was off the road for 6 weeks). Anyway, cleaned up the earthing, and drove a lot without any lights on to charge the battery up a bit more, and it all seems to be ok.

Now I just have a seized brake piston to deal with....