Notices

It's all been done... Oil questions and service time!

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2009, 11:34 AM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's all been done... Oil questions and service time!

It's that ime of year again (as in, I can pick up a spanner without it giving me frost bite), and my thoughts have gone towards the need for a full service on my 1997 Classic UK Turbo.

Oil wise, it's not so much a what spec should I use as it would seem a 15W50 is thoroughly accepted for use in these cars, but more a manufacturer. Does anyone use this, and for a prolonged period of time?

'Mobil 1 15w50 Motorsport 5 ltr Fully Synthetic (superSyn)'

I can't see it as being a bad oil in any respect, but opinions would be appreciated. Over winter I was running Motul 8100 X-CESS, but now we're heading towards warmer conditions, a heavier oil would be fine.

I've found various platinum tipped plugs on ebay, but I'm struggling to find out which ones are correct for my car, would anyone know? NGK or Denso.

I'll of course be doing everything else, cambelt change, coolant flush and refill, fix the leaking rocker covers (manifold burnt oil, lovely!), diff and gearbox oil drain and refill, new leads, fuel filter, and just about anything else I can think of!
Old 16 March 2009, 11:52 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

NGK PFR6B

Oil; personal choice. But I prefer to go for a oil with better cold properties like a 10w-50 or 10w40. But that's 15w-50 is fine, especially now the real cold weather is behind us for this year.

I've always used a 10w-40 semi synthetic and stuck very rigidly to the 6month change schedule; but my driving style never warranted anything any more special (mostly daily commuting with the odd blast inbetween). The difference with my car is it was kept in a mildly heated garage so it only saw a real cold start once a day (when I went to drive home from work).
Old 16 March 2009, 06:49 PM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Ali-B! much appreciated!

So I shouldn't see any problems, ie straining the oil pump from cold with the heavier oil? I won't be doing the service til April aswell, so hopefully warmer still by then! :-) I always let my car idle for a minute or two before setting off aswell. Like you say, oil is definitely a personal pref, there are lots of people who will probably say the spec and brand they use is the best and that they've had no grief from it. I just wanted to make doubly sure a 15W50 wasn't too thick at cold start temps for the EJ20 motor.

Really, my driving style isn't far removed from yours, I do a four mile trafficky drive each way to and from work, and I go out on a weekend every now and then (Cat and Fiddle time?!).