Notices

Bugeye Problems

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2009, 02:45 AM
phil08
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye Problems

My bugeye has just had a new radiator and new front brakes but since then I have noticed a few 'issues'.

There is a horrible metallic knocking noise from the left hand side of the car along with a grinding when turning left much more prominent when going over bumps...I also have a liquid noise coming from somewhere towards the front of the car, like a loud swirling water noise.

Are there any known common problems with the bugeyes and even with my rubbish descriptions can anyone shed any light on what may have happened?

I think maybe the knocking noise could be a snapped spring?
Old 14 March 2009, 08:44 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The water problem is well covered. It is probably an airlock in your heater matrix caused by the coolant not being properly bled after the rad was changed. I can't remember exactly but I recall that there is a cure but a search in the technical should shed some light on it.

I had a similar grinding noise, albeit without the knock, from my bug a couple of years ago. I removed the coil spring assisters that where fitted, which I assumed had been fitted for a good reason and not to hide a fault, and the noise started. The previous owner had fitted cheap g-max springs and they had just sagged at the rear. A new set of springs with a 50mm drop actually raised the car slightly and the noise was gone. Sound like you could be in the right area with the springs

Great excuse to get some lowering springs, and if the car is on the original shocks replace them too, or even just get coilovers. BC coilovers from APEX performance are nearly as cheap as upgraded springs and shocks and ride quite well from the reports I have seen
Old 14 March 2009, 01:59 PM
phil08
Scooby Regular

Thanks I did think maybe an airlock but I wasn't too sure...its such a strange noise!

I will have a look at suspension as a precaution but the car has done 70,000 miles so I'd imagine most parts are now coming to the end of their life!!
Old 14 March 2009, 03:45 PM
Pyrotechnic
Scooby Regular

I get the water thing too I think, especially if I'm sat still revving a little, I almost expect a few gallons to come flooding through the vents at any moment :/
Old 14 March 2009, 05:57 PM
phil08
Scooby Regular

yeah thats exactly it, a really strange noise! but I have only noticed it since the radiator was fitted...the car doesnt over heat or do anything else out of the ordinary...it steamed/smoked for a day ater the rad was fitted which whent very quickly and was just the old remamnts of liquid burning off.
Old 14 March 2009, 10:16 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

My 03 WRX has done 82k miles on original shocks so dont go rushing in! LOL.
Mind you it is scraping the floor (ha, joke!)
I am on Eibach springs so they have been on for 4 years i think. Shocks are still on from new.
Old 14 March 2009, 10:37 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

If the grinding noise began when the new radiator went in, I would check that the radiator is properly fitted and not touching any panels/ members /anything. Was it an Ebay one?

Likewise with the brakes

Last edited by s70rjw; 14 March 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Oops