Intermittant zero power

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2009, 12:08 AM
pete_shrimp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittant zero power

Hi all

Hoping someone can shed some light on a problem that's been getting worse over the last week.

After changing up a gear my WRX will sometimes suddenly lose all power, like the throttle pedal does nothing, but then I'll back off and reapply and all will be fine again.

It feels like massive overfuelling, and one time I got a couple of pops and bangs from the exhaust. I originally thought it felt like a hose had split but that wouldn't explain the intermittant nature. And when it doesn;t happen the car pulls totally fine

It's got progressively worse and seems to happen more if I stamp on the throttle suddenly.

The cars got a PFC with commander - are there any voltages etc that I can check for MAF or anything? What are the symptoms of fuel pump/pressure regulator failure?

Many thanks

Pete
Old 14 March 2009, 05:50 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

What car ya got fella??
Old 14 March 2009, 09:57 AM
pete_shrimp
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate,

It's 1995 WRX, with Power FC, wrapped stainless manifold/downpipe/exhaust, panel filter, dump valve , and manual boost adjusty thing.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 14 March 2009, 12:49 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Right mate, a few ways to approach this, firstly it could be overboosting so do check all the hoses for security and splits, if all are ok then check plugs and coilpacks, dont forget to remove the rubber ends from the coil pack as this is were any damage is likly to be visible. If the plugs and packs check out ok then mark the manual boost controller and turn it down a tad.
Let us know how you get on
Old 15 March 2009, 07:35 PM
pete_shrimp
Scooby Newbie

It's got a boost gauge plus the one on the PFC, it was hitting max 1.1bar, I've turned it down to just under 1.0bar. Just ditched the dump valve and sorted a couple of shonky hoses but the problem is still there

I'll replace the plugs as I'm not sure how old they are, and check coilpacks while I'm at it, but I'm not sure a dodgy coilpack/plug would drop the power quite so abruptly would it? And it happens as soon as I apply the throttle, not at high rpm/boost.

Cheers,

Pete