Notices

classic wrx intercooler + decat question

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2009, 06:39 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic wrx intercooler + decat question

Hi everyone , i have a 1995 wrx import and looking at getting a bigger TMIC of a sti, i am looking on ebay at a version 2 and 4 one , which one is the best one to get and will thay fit and be a improvement over the standard wrx one?

Also looking at getting a decat down pipe , i have searched and it seems some people say you will need a remap as it will go into overboost , is this true, or will it be ok without a remap, cheers all
Old 08 March 2009, 06:49 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The v.2 silver oen is the same slanty pattern as what you have, so will bolt striaght in place of the black WRX item. The benefits are that it has a slightly bigger rean end tanks, but more importantly, has a smooth metal hard pip/silicone hose feedpipe combo. The STi feedpipe allegedly flows upto 50% more air than the horrble, restrictive corrugated plastic item of the WRX's IC.

A lot of people have also upgraded to either the v.3/4 or v.5/6 silver STi TMIC as well. If you do asearch, you should trawl in a fitting guide. Basically, you need to trim about 5mm of the throttle body flange and IC's TB-outlet port to make it fit into the narrow space between TB and bulkhead of the early cars. You also may have to fashion/modify new mounting points and possibly modify the dump valve flange too.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 March 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08 March 2009, 08:48 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for that, Still can't find the fitting guide , I know its on here, as seen it before lol, does any one know if a 2001 blobeye intercooler will fit, cheers
Old 08 March 2009, 09:10 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeffwrx
...does any one know if a 2001 blobeye intercooler will fit, cheers
If it does fit, then this would be the best OEM STi one to fit (out of the v.1 to v.7 TMICs).

It's the best at managing heatsoak and has the highest flow rate, IIRC from Autospeed's flow bench 2-part tests.
Old 08 March 2009, 09:22 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Newage TMIC won’t fit without allot of work, and with the amount of work required it’s simply not worth the trouble.

Best upgrade on the early V1-2 car is FMIC option due to available space or lack of to fit a largely improved TMIC.

It’s also important to change the scoop and splitter if going for the version 3-6 TMIC option.
Old 08 March 2009, 10:43 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slowboy Racing
Newage TMIC won’t fit without allot of work, and with the amount of work required it’s simply not worth the trouble
Thought that'd be the case

Best upgrade on the early V1-2 car is FMIC option due to available space or lack of to fit a largely improved TMIC..
Indeed.

It’s also important to change the scoop and splitter if going for the version 3-6 TMIC option.
Indeed.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 March 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08 March 2009, 10:51 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

here ya go

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...-my95-wrx.html

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2009, 11:43 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newage TMIC won’t fit without allot of work, and with the amount of work required it’s simply not worth the trouble.

Best upgrade on the early V1-2 car is FMIC option due to available space or lack of to fit a largely improved TMIC.

Not really that much work to be honest. I have a blobeye WRX TMIC which I ran on my 93 RA for a while before fitting a front mount and appart from removing about 3mm from the throttle body inlet it fits straight on.
Having said that the dump valve flange has been removed and it has all the pipework to fit an external dump valve so all of the fabrication work required to the TMIC has already been done and all the pipe work tailored to fit.
But having fitted both there is more hassle involved fitting a front mount than fitting this. If you fit a front mount you have to cut the bumper, trim some metal from the front edges where the pipes run, cut a hole in the drivers side inner wing and if its an early classic cut and join the pipe that runs round the oil filler cap.

link below to the post I put up when I had it up for sale which shows some pics of it, it is considerably bigger capacity than any of the other classic intercoolers.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...t-classic.html
Old 09 March 2009, 12:08 AM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

think i might just put a v2 alloy intercooler on for now, then replace it with a fmic when i can get it mapped , cheers everyone ,
Old 09 March 2009, 12:26 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

think i might just put a v2 alloy intercooler on for now...,
That's exactly what I did...

... then replace it with a fmic when i can get it mapped.
...and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Old 09 March 2009, 12:47 AM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

did it make a diffrence

Last edited by jeffwrx; 09 March 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09 March 2009, 01:07 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

did it make a diffrence
Well, the v.2 STi TMIC was fitted prior to a JGM remap to get the best from it, so it obviously is better... But don't know how much the STi IC is contributing, compared to if the WRX black IC was in place instead . I suspect quite a bit, if Autospeed say that the smooth feedpipe is supposed to flow 50% more air...
Old 09 March 2009, 04:02 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Rather than put time and effort into fitting another TMIC, do yourself a favour and go straight to an efficient FMIC. Relatively straightforward to fit and air charge temperatures under control.
Old 09 March 2009, 04:06 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Rather than put time and effort into fitting another TMIC, do yourself a favour and go straight to an efficient FMIC. Relatively straightforward to fit and air charge temperatures under control.
Totally agree that's what the OP should do.

I'll be doing that soon - I'll book a couple of days with you harvey in a few months time. (As you can see from my SN signature, I now have a brand new engine to enjoy it on! )
Old 09 March 2009, 04:47 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Have to disagree fitting a FMIC is not a straight forward job unless you have all the tools and the technical ability. Not sure why you would suggest that there is a lot of time and effort involved in fitting a TMIC as opposed to a FMIC. There are pro's and cons for both set ups depending on power and other mods etc, and also how people want their car to look.

Last edited by Arch; 09 March 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10 March 2009, 02:24 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Miss post.

Last edited by harvey; 10 March 2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10 March 2009, 02:38 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Have to disagree fitting a FMIC is not a straight forward job unless you have all the tools and the technical ability. Not sure why you would suggest that there is a lot of time and effort involved in fitting a TMIC as opposed to a FMIC. There are pro's and cons for both set ups depending on power and other mods etc, and also how people want their car to look.

Having fitted an M/Y 00 STi 6 TMIC to a 96 WRX and an STi 8 TMIC to an STi 3 Wagon and numerous Hybrid FMICs over several years I know what is involved to do the work neatly. The STi 8 route was relatively recent, it was not the panacea claimed by many "EXPERTS", it was more expensive than fitting a GT Hybrid and it was FAR more work. Never mind the performance benefits available from the FMIC.
Fitting an efficient FMIC is a simple, easy and tidy solution and it is a proper cure that will continue to cater for future project creep.
There is factual information towards the end of this long thread which will explain why. Post 141 I think.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ts-so-big.html
Old 10 March 2009, 04:20 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

My point wasnt about your ability or my ability to fit a FMIC but other people who may not have the funds to pay someone to do it and who may not want to tackle the cutting and parts that need to be removed etc that is required.
Old 11 March 2009, 01:12 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

This is not about anyone's ability it is about the gains to be had from a TMIC and the work involved.
There is absolutely no point fitting an STi2 TMIC to the 95 WRX which is what the original poster asked.
Fitting an STi6 TMIC will give some gains, not much and IMHO not worth the hassle. For a start the bulkhead has to be hammered back and that looks hideous. It is actually a far bigger job than it first looks. Anyway the STi 6 TMIC is out of control on WOT not much after 300 bhp. Buy an ACT guage and test for yoursef if you do not believe me. (£72.50 posted)
Fit an STi 8 TMIC? Yes there are gains from the bigger TMIC but look at the work involved. I don't know if a M/Y 95 will have bulkhead clearance issues but it does have bonnet clearance issues, locate BOV where/how? fabricate bracket(s) involving welding. Then ICVS issues. Bigger scoop to get it to work reasonably well, under bonnet plate required. All this represents more work than fitting a good front mount and by the time you have the scoop and under tray it is more money than a front mount for less gain. Again, invest in an ACT guage and test for yourself if you do not accept the info at the link above.
Having fitted an STi 8 TMIC to an STi 3 once, I will not be repeating it. The job spread over three days as I had not fully appreciated the snags that would come my way. Even for a beginner, fitting an FMIC can be done in a day to a day and a half on their own if thought out in advance and there are instructions included in the kits and some good guides on here.
I have just sold my STi 8 TMIC set up complete to a rally team that cannot run a front mount and they bought that secondhand for more than my current retail price for a Hybrid GT FMIC. If you actually do the mod yourself on a 98 WRX or prior I think your opinion of the work involved to do the job properly will alter radically.

Last edited by harvey; 11 March 2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11 March 2009, 01:52 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Question

Good stuff harvey.

...I have just sold my STi 8 TMIC set up complete to a rally team that cannot run a front mount...
As a side note, why can't the rally outfit run a FMIC - is it simply the competition regulations? Because if not, then why on earth would they 'actively' choose a TM over FM?!

Last edited by joz8968; 11 March 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 14 March 2009, 11:15 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The rally team decided to go top mount because of fear of damage off road and in the forrests. The top mount makes sense to them as they will be running no more than 300 bhp.
Old 14 March 2009, 09:45 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

The rally team decided to go top mount because of fear of damage off road and in the forrests. The top mount makes sense to them as they will be running no more than 300 bhp.
Ah, thanks. Two good reasons then... especially the frontal impact one.
Old 16 March 2009, 12:14 AM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for your reply's everyone , i am now going for a FMIC when i can get a remap , so just want to upgrade the TMIC untill then , will a spec c TMIC fit or is this to big for a 1995 wrx , cheers
Old 16 March 2009, 12:29 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

thanks for your reply's everyone , i am now going for a FMIC when i can get a remap , so just want to upgrade the TMIC untill then , will a spec c TMIC fit or is this to big for a 1995 wrx , cheers
What mods/power are you running? 'Cause if currently <300bhp, I wouldn't bother with the TM if you know you're going FM anyway! - waste of money IMO.

Just wait until you have enough to get the FM, etc...
Old 19 March 2009, 02:19 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

I know it is a waste of money, but i won't have a FMIC for a few months yet, and my current wrx IC all the fins are bent and realy needs replacing, so might aswell put a bigger one on for now,

any one know if a 2005 STI Intercooler, will fit, or can be made to fit, cheers
Old 19 March 2009, 02:35 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

... my current wrx IC all the fins are bent and realy needs replacing...
Pair of tweezers, a night in... and a bunch of patience...

Last edited by joz8968; 19 March 2009 at 02:38 PM.