Knock Knock Can anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2009, 09:51 PM
jwan_147
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Knock Can anyone help

Hi all,

Yes i believe the dreaded has happened but i'm not 100% sure. I've had scubs in the past but never experienced the evil knock. The car is a 98 V4 STI with 85k on the clock. Its only just started the knock noise but not really loud. You can drive it around and not hear it until you open the bonnet and listen while you press the gas lever. Just on idle you can't hear the knock and it runs perfectly fine. From cold you can;t hear anything until i guess its warmed up then if you press gas you can hear it. Question is would a new engine be a better bet or a rebuild? I understand there is high cost involved but i just don't have tons of money to spend. Can anyone suggest the basic way forward and anyone i can go to near me. A company quoted me £1800 to supply and fit used engine with 6 month warranty. Has anyone heard of Jap Car Breakers in birmingham? This price is only based on exchange with my engine otherwise price will be different.

I just want my car back onto the road, don't need major BHP as i do understand you can spend the earth on these cars on uprated parts. If i noticed this knock early can a rebuild be cheaper or can anyone steer me in the right direction or am i just talking crap and this noise could be something else.
Any advice or direction will be superb & highly appreciated.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:58 PM
silent assasin
Scooby Regular

Sounds like mine just now, just posted a thread very similar to yours hope its not bottom end away
Old 05 March 2009, 09:59 PM
Stevie-Sport
Scooby Regular

welcome to the club my friend.. My car recently had the same.

Depends how much money you have to part with..

My advice is that if you can afford it, go for an engine rebuild. you will have safe knowledge that it wont do it again for a long time (Hopefully)

im skint so opting for a pre-recon'd engine..

like you found, if your opting for another engine to put in, make sure it is under warranty, just incase.. But defo go for a rebuild if you have the cash
Old 05 March 2009, 10:22 PM
jwan_147
Scooby Newbie

I'm sure there are many out there with same problems, what price is deemed as reasonable price for a basic rebuild. Otherwise what price should i expect for new engine or recon engine and which place would you suggest. Many thanks
Old 05 March 2009, 10:29 PM
Stevie-Sport
Scooby Regular

Its hard to put a price on a rebuild, because it depends on what you want to go in it.
It would all depend on your budget.

From what i have read, most people seem to pay between 2-3k for a good rebuild.
But im sure you can get it slightly cheaper.

The best person you need to speak to about engine re-builds is David from API.. Read up on here about them and you will see nothing but positive feedback, going above and beyond what one would normally expect.

If you feel you cannot afford a rebuild, then go for a replacement engine.. But be vary wary from whom you buy. Personally i would buy a second hand engine, unless it had either been recon'd already recently, or it was a temporary measure until you get a rebuilt one.

Whatever you choose...good luck to you.. there are many in your position who are on hand to offer advice..

I just paid £700 for a WRX engine which has recently been recon'd and only done 4000 miles on it.. Im then going to fit it myself, and work on rebuilding my old engine with forged pistons and better internals..
Old 05 March 2009, 11:16 PM
jwan_147
Scooby Newbie

I guess red top engines are more expensive, i was quoted £1800 supply & fit with 6 month warranty does this sound reasonable? I'm just afraid if anything does go wrong with engine they wont replace and find every excuse they're not at fault.
Old 06 March 2009, 12:45 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i`m new here but i was reading about dodgy dealers in birmingham and one is good and one is bad and they are bothe called jap car breakers or they have similar names

and from what i read they are proper dodgy as in they will send you a wrx engine instead,they always use the same xcuse something like there was a mix up and the courier as mixed them up.

do a search you might find it on here.