New owner - advice/questions

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2009, 01:37 PM
chunkster555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - advice/questions

Hello to everyone,

I purchased by JDM WRX STi v3 saloon at the end of last year and am well pleased with it, its a stonkingly good car. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

1) The car is in standard factory trim and hence still mapped for Japanese fuel. Is it highly recommended to get it remapped for UK fuel? I have only filled it with super unleaded and it runs just fine (will never fill it with standard unleaded btw). Should I be adding octane booster? Will a remap prolong the life of the engine/release more power?

2) Aesthetically I very much like the standard STi exhaust, bit it doesn't have the classic flat 4 burble which I would very much like to have. Any recommendations? I don't want a really loud exhaust! Just something subtle that'll produce that awesome sound. Also, would it be better to go for just the back box, catback or a full system? Would be nice to get an extra 20 horses or so

3) When cold, the front and rear suspension squeaks when I go over speed bumps, although it disappears after a few miles, pressumably due to heating. Is this common with STis? Are some of the suspension components on their way out? Lubrication required?

One final thing, does anyone know where I can get STi fog light covers? They're about 200 quid from Subaru Japan which is probably why they got nicked in the first place! before i bought the car.

Many thanks for your time.

Neil
Old 04 March 2009, 01:53 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi there, i have the V3 TYPE-R which is also a fantastic car, as for being mapped i,d suggest you get it done yes. I think though from memory, the Jap fuel didn,t go to 100 ron until the V4 was launched, don,t quote me on this though, until you have it mapped then use V-POWER and yes like you,ve said, some Octance Booster wouldn,t do it any harm.

Aas for an Exhaust, alot of people favour the Blitz Nur Spec, very loud mind you, BUT does give you that fantastic Subaru note that we all love.

Hope this hepls alittle.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:51 AM
chunkster555
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Pete, very nice motor you have there man!

Blitz Nur Spec exhausts do sound very nice, but they're a bit too much on the loud side for me. Something like that but a tad quieter would be ideal.

Can anyone else offer any advice please?

The main thing I'm concerned with is the remap, whether or not it is absolutely essential. Its quite an expensive thing to do and could be a waste of dosh if there are no real benefits...

Cheers guys

Neil
Old 05 March 2009, 10:00 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are benifts to having a remap as you will see an increase in power,even fuel economy it will not prolong the life of the engine,good maintenance however will keep the engine happy.
To remap your car will need a replacement ecu.

100RON was introduced into Japan in about 1997ish.

exhaust wise go the full hog and get a sports cat (no mot problems) or decat if you want (may mean having to put the cat back on every mot time) as for makes there are so many have a look on youtube as many people have uploaded soundclips.

Places like scoobyparts,scoobyworld will most probably sell replacement covers.
Old 05 March 2009, 10:13 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Neil,

You,ll need a stand-alone ECU for the V3, either Power FC/SIMTEK etc etc, yes it does get costly you,re right, the Motec in mine was over 3k supplied & fitted, crazy...

But as said, a mapped car DOESN,T mean it,ll not fail, they do and have..

If you,re struggling budget wise at the min then use an Octane Booster and ALWAYS V-Power.. V-Power is 99.4 ron anyway, so it,s almost that magic 100....
Old 05 March 2009, 10:58 AM
chunkster555
Scooby Newbie

Sweet. Cheers guys. I'll get some octane booster in the meantime and mull it all over, will also check out some sound samples on youtube, really keen to release the sonic brilliance of the boxer engine

Can you recommend any highly regarded remappers that really know their stuff? I live in the London area.

Also, any ideas about my suspension issue? When I am turning and go over a bump the car seems to wobble very slighltly and also squeaks when going over speed bumps in a straight line, front and rear. However this is only when the suspension components are cold, it is 100% fine after a few miles and properly warmed up. Its on about 65,000 miles and all of the SH is in Japanese so I have no idea what has been replaced, apart from the cam belt (by the previous owner).
Old 05 March 2009, 11:31 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.slowboy-racing.co.uk

www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk

I get squeals from my jap spec coilovers when it's cold,not sure about the wobble you mention though best thing to do is get the alignment /suspension checked.