Notices

Boost controller instillation

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2009, 05:33 PM
matthew T
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost controller instillation

Hi everyone, had my 94 wrx import a while now and just started playing with it. Boost gauge fitted, green panel filter, bailey dumpvalve. got a manual boost controller coming and was wondering how to fit it? car runs sweet and is boosting about 11psi at the moment whats a safe increase?:
Old 03 March 2009, 06:08 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

There are a couple of schools of thought on this one....
Some people will say not to use a boost controller at all, as you can never be sure if the ECU will compensate and add enough fuel for the extra boost. You could argue that "any" increase in boost is outside of the design spec of the ECU and is therefor unsafe. An overly lean mixture caused by too much boost leads to high combustion temperatures and DET. Both have the ability to trash your engine and could lead to a rebuild or having to replace the motor.
In my personal experience, I've got away with using a MBC with moderation. I ran 1bar (14.7psi?) on my WRX (Z4 ECU) for around a year before I got it fitted with a daughterboard for the ECU. If you intend to run at this sort of pressure, it's advisable to have some monitoring gizmos to keep an eye on DET (such as a Knocklink) and something to monitor the AFR (so you know if you're running lean/ rich). You could also argue that by doing it properly (AFR, Knocklink etc.) you are approaching the cost of a live mapped board (which is obviously a far better, but more costly solution).
It's not a safe way to increase boost, but I'd be a hypocrite to condemn using one. Just take as many precautions as you can and stick to a realistic increase in boost to try to minimise the risk.
Old 03 March 2009, 06:21 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RedScoob
There are a couple of schools of thought on this one....
Some people will say not to use a boost controller at all, as you can never be sure if the ECU will compensate and add enough fuel for the extra boost. You could argue that "any" increase in boost is outside of the design spec of the ECU and is therefor unsafe. An overly lean mixture caused by too much boost leads to high combustion temperatures and DET. Both have the ability to trash your engine and could lead to a rebuild or having to replace the motor.
In my personal experience, I've got away with using a MBC with moderation. I ran 1bar (14.7psi?) on my WRX (Z4 ECU) for around a year before I got it fitted with a daughterboard for the ECU. If you intend to run at this sort of pressure, it's advisable to have some monitoring gizmos to keep an eye on DET (such as a Knocklink) and something to monitor the AFR (so you know if you're running lean/ rich). You could also argue that by doing it properly (AFR, Knocklink etc.) you are approaching the cost of a live mapped board (which is obviously a far better, but more costly solution).
It's not a safe way to increase boost, but I'd be a hypocrite to condemn using one. Just take as many precautions as you can and stick to a realistic increase in boost to try to minimise the risk.
Absolutly spot on RedScoob
I too run a MBC along side a Scott.T chip with Boost and AFR gauges fitted, allows me to run at 1.2 bar (17.4 psi). Been like this for about a year now with zero problems.
As said, use in 'moderation'
Old 04 March 2009, 08:58 AM
matthew T
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys all very helpful advice. so basically a boost gauge is not enough to monitor a sensible increase? say to about 14.5 psi.
also did the green wire thing yesterday to reset the ecu, seems to be going quicker and boosting stronger is this possible or just placebo?
Old 04 March 2009, 10:06 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matthew T
Cheers guys all very helpful advice. so basically a boost gauge is not enough to monitor a sensible increase? say to about 14.5 psi.
also did the green wire thing yesterday to reset the ecu, seems to be going quicker and boosting stronger is this possible or just placebo?

You do need to monitor AFR to stay safe, 14.5 psi is about 1 bar, dont know off hand what the cut is on your ECU but you will need to set your peak below that to prevent cut when spiking.

Yes the car will feel quicker after reset until it learns