HID lack of backward compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2009, 01:49 AM
CatalunyaSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID lack of backward compatibility

Hi all,
I was thinking about converting my headlamps system on my classic to HID (High Intensity Discharge). Whilst doing some research into the system on wikipedia I found the follow information that shed some light on some of its draw backs. (See what I done there)

Lack of backward-compatibility
The arc light source in an HID headlamp is fundamentally different in size, shape, orientation, and luminosity distribution compared to the filament light source used in tungsten-halogen headlamps. For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. HID burners cannot effectively or safely be installed in optics designed to take filament bulbs; doing so results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries.

Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now am I right in saying that optic is referring to the headlamp lens and not the actual bulb. Has anyone suffered from “improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare” and aware of this being illegal.

Feel like this post is a little silly but I’ve seen worst posted. Go easy on me as it is a talking point nevertheless.
Old 24 February 2009, 07:59 AM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

The optics are the reflectors in the lights, Many people have fitted them no problem but they are illegal. I have some in my blobeye wrx and I have had no issues with glare on other drivers but do not know about the H4 setup.
Old 24 February 2009, 10:10 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I have H1 HID kit in my 03STi (blob) and dippped cut off is fine and passes MOT without comment. I suspect problems can occur with the H4 bulbs with a moveable shroud where the relative position of the shroud to burner might cause issues on dip. As with daz I have no direct experience of H4s.
Old 24 February 2009, 10:37 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Simon, if you sesrch through a few months in "Electrical", you'll find a LOT of posts re legality/usefulness of HIDs. The topics get quite aggressive, with emotions running high. There are those who LOVE the things in all their guises, those who SELL them, and those who seek to enlighten ......... unfortunately the latter group are seen as NOT liking them, and trying to STOP others using them, when what they are really doing is ensuring that everyone KNOWS the drawbacks and can make an informed decision as to whether to use or not.
A bit like doing any mods, really, but our previous webby's biased stance towards traders didn't help.