Notices

New Exhaust Too Loud

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2009, 05:30 PM
phil08
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust Too Loud

Had just a Racebox Backbox and afterburner de-resonated section fixed with all Cats etc still present. Scoobyworld sent me the wrong pipe which is being rectified but suggested I fit it anyways to see if I would like then noise.

Maybe its the fact i'm not used to having an aftermarket exhaust but just with these two bits added you can hear me coming and i'm very self concious about it!!

I'm now waiting for the resonated centre section to arrive so I can see how much difference that makes to try and limit the noise but i'm now dubious about fitting the up-pipe, sports cat and centre de-cat. If i think this is noisy now will the loss of cats make the noise louder or will the resonated section cancel out most of the noise?

I bought the racebox as I thought it would be quiet....don't get me wrong the noise is lovely but too loud for me.

Can anyone help or offer some advice...my original system that was on there is rusted to hell so definatley won't be putting that back on
Old 22 February 2009, 07:21 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

A cat is nothing more than a device to convert harmfull gasses into not so harmfull gasses, they are not designed to muffle the exhaust noise. They will however, alter the tone of the exhaust note.

Same goes with the up pipe really. As it stands, your system is probably as loud as it is going to get. If you add in the resonator on the mid section, then it should reduce the noise level a bit. Again though, it may be perceived that the tone has changed more than the volume.

I'm unfamiliar with the back box you are using, but is there a 'bung' available that can be fitted into the exhaust outlet? This reduces volume dramatically but the downside is a loss of power.
Old 22 February 2009, 08:15 PM
phil08
Scooby Regular

The backbox is a 3.5 inch rolled with a massive box on it ( can clearly be seen when looking square on at the rear of the car) I don't think there is a bung available for these.

I chose it as its meant to be a very quiet box...i'm just hoping I will get used to the noise and then all will be ok. My mechanic took one look at the up-pipe and said he didn't even want to attempt to fit it so now looking for a company that is capable of fitting plus remapping the car at the same time
Old 22 February 2009, 09:18 PM
DANGEROUS DAVY
Scooby Regular

Its the same box thats fitted to my P1 I am trying to change mines as it is way to quiet
Old 22 February 2009, 09:22 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I had a decat up-pipe, sportscat downpipe and decat 2nd section fitted and didn't notice any increase in noise. I've heard the RaceBox and its not loud (but louder than the std weedy twin-pipes), so I suggest that its the centre deres that's the problem.

I considered replacing my std resonated centre for a deres, but have been told that it makes the car too loud for comfort.
Old 22 February 2009, 10:29 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wait til you hear a nur spec r with a decat downpipe...

wiley
Old 22 February 2009, 10:36 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Well I have decat upipe, prodrive sportcat downpipe and centre decat, H&S de-res centre coupled to a prodrive backbox and it is not noisy at all, When I fitted my de-res centre I did not even notice an increase in sound just a change in the tone. I think the backbox is what designates how loud the overall system is, which is why I sourced a used ppp backbox to ensure noise was at a minimum.
Old 22 February 2009, 11:05 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Not much help but; Your mechanic is rubbish!
Old 22 February 2009, 11:20 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a second hand STi Back Box, they are cheap as chips and a step quieter than your racebox. To be honest you are only going to get louder from what you already have.
Old 22 February 2009, 11:58 PM
phil08
Scooby Regular

Maybe i will get used to the noise but either way the resonated pipe is going on for now. The OEM is rusted to hell and the fit between the new S/S parts and old mild steel exhaust is terrible. Should be all sorted by wednesday once it gets taken to Clive Atthowe and i'll leave it in a professionals hands!!
Old 23 February 2009, 12:40 AM
dlatch
Scooby Regular

had the fujistu downpipe back system i picked up second hand fitted to mine today and it gives a nice burble but no louder really than a standard system
this has larger rear silencer resonater and another silencer.
tbh i could stand a little more noice which i may get when i go for a decat downpipe
Old 23 February 2009, 09:33 AM
krisclarkuk
Scooby Regular

Im like you, i dont like the car to be that loud and i was looking at that backbox myself, so would be interested to know what you think of it once you have the centre section replaced.