Old 21 February 2009, 03:34 PM
JAKEsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Fitted K&N 57i kit to my Hawkeye STI

As stated just fitted and so impressed

Fitting is easy even for idiot like me clear instructions with pics

top value £105 delivered

fit - quality is excellent using existing mounts for brackets etc no bending sawing altering anything.

BEST BIT the is induction sound under acceleration sounds fantastic (slight improvement in response nothing major) (fitted in prep for further mods further down the line)

if anyone thinking of getting one well worth it and reasonably priced at side of Blitz products etc.

(no engine management light scare or issues either)

my car spec is Standard 2006 UK STI with PPP the induction kit with my turbosmart recirc dump vale are stage one of modding for me
Old 23 February 2009, 11:13 AM
RonnieB
Scooby Regular

Cool,

Can I ask you (or anyone else for that matter) a couple (or three) questions?

I have exactly them same spec car as you (except for the dump valve) and am thinking of going down the K&N induction kit route myself.

From what I can see you didn't have the car re-mapped?
Did you leave the exisiting pipework in (the pipes/air scoop from the front) to allow cold air to be blown onto the filter?
Do you have some sort of heat shield between the filter and engine?

I've heard positives and negatives on here with regards to MAF issues and even total engone failures

Cheers
Old 23 February 2009, 11:39 AM
JAKEsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RonnieB
Cool,

Can I ask you (or anyone else for that matter) a couple (or three) questions?

I have exactly them same spec car as you (except for the dump valve) and am thinking of going down the K&N induction kit route myself.

From what I can see you didn't have the car re-mapped?
Did you leave the exisiting pipework in (the pipes/air scoop from the front) to allow cold air to be blown onto the filter?
Do you have some sort of heat shield between the filter and engine?

I've heard positives and negatives on here with regards to MAF issues and even total engone failures

Cheers
No the car has not been re-mapped (well apart from the Prodrive item fitted as part of the PPP)

Yes all the existing pipework remains on the car feeding from the front round the left side of the engine popping out in left wing if stood head on to the car (I thought this was nice touch - ie all existing airflow pipework left alone and directs cold air onto the K&N

No heat shield - as stated cold air directed onto new filter by standard scoody pipework from factory piping (we already have the nice big scooby scoop again allowing heat escape and thirdly its tucked tightly to left wing (if stood facing engine bay) so away from major heat sources.

as for positives and negatives thats a bit more subjective and am sure you will get wide ranging opinions.

I have had no running issues/ engine lights etc. my brother in law har run wisely or not a cheap fle bay cone filter on his 55 reg UK WRX for 20k and no probs(with engine light on I may add - not my idea of good but working for him so far)

I have run 57I kits on my previous Astra VXR for 10k with no remap and all was well.

For me the 57I kit is the start I will be getting new exhaust / remap at some stage.

(K&N also decent company so I am sure they spent time in R&D to ensure the impreza not blow up) - as your car like mine is newish should be ok - if put filter on 15 year old car with 150k on clock sure there could be a few issues)

As I say sure you will get plenty for and against

(DO IT)
Old 23 February 2009, 12:11 PM
RonnieB
Scooby Regular

Thx for that.

Sounds like a "goer" to me then, especially as I'm due to replace the panel filter anyway (at a cost of around £40)!

To quote " easy to install", "slight performance improvement" and " sounds good", what more could I wish for

Cheers
Old 23 February 2009, 12:18 PM
JAKEsti
Scooby Regular

No probs (also get million mile warrenty of fillter) so hopefully u wont need another LOL

as said u wont be dissapointed especially with PPP u have car is already more easy breathing at the exhaust end with the sports CAT and backbox etc so the K&N will compliment nicely.
Old 23 February 2009, 12:39 PM
RonnieB
Scooby Regular

Thx again.

One last piece of your assistance please.

Is this the right one for my car (looks it to me).

K&N INDUCTION KIT Subaru Impreza 2.5 05-07 WRX & Sti on eBay, also, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Mar-09 11:09:58 GMT)

Cheers
Old 23 February 2009, 01:52 PM
JAKEsti
Scooby Regular

Yep thats the one (excellent price) if you get it let me know what u think