Notices

Spray painting help from anyone good needed

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2009, 08:23 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray painting help from anyone good needed

im gona attempt to do a bit of spraying, getting halfrauds to make me up some paint.

Im gona be doing a wing, and about a foot patch on the front bumper.

Now i know its not going to look great, but will look better than a different coloured wing on it for now.

so .. 1) the wing. its already in a slightly diff shade fo blue. do i need to sand it all down, sand it flat or what before painting it, or do i want to primer straight ontop of the lacquer already on there?

and 2) spraying a area on a bumper, its where a crack / smash has been repaired. do i need to mask off a area and primer / top coat / lacquer that masked off area, or do you not want to mask it off, and do it completely freehand?

only concern about masking it off, is its going to leave a thicker layer of paint.

ive got a rubbing compund/ fine sand paper to try and blend it in afterwards as best i can if at all.

Any advice / tips greatly appreciated
Old 05 February 2009, 09:49 AM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Not easy to teach in a few lines but I'll try-
firstly you must do it in a clean dry (20deg min) garage
try to paint full panels, it's difficult to blend into a part panel, it's also easier to mask off a full panel.
rub down with wet and dry 400grade
dry panel off and spray with primer, don't try and put too much on, leave 5/10mins between coats.
leave overnight to go off
flat off with 800grade wet and dry, wipe down and dry thouroughly
spray colour on, if base coat metalic dust on lightly, again leave 10 mins between coats
when you think it's looks ok, stop! don't try and pile more paint on
it's not easy but an okay finish can be got with spary cans
Good luck............Andy
Old 05 February 2009, 10:17 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

great advice, thanks for your quick response.

looks like ill be getting the heater out in the garage then!

the panel is off the car at mo. its in a diff shade of blue. is red primer going to be ok to use think halford have red or black? and do i need to primer the whole panel first, or could i just rub it down a bit, i dont mind either way. which is best?

and does lacquer want to be a bit thicker? i know too little lacquer looks/feels crap, and too much is easy to make it run
Old 05 February 2009, 12:54 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

when i sprayed a red pannel Sonic Blue i had to primer it 1st with the correct primer for the colour (grey) as it did make a difference to the final finish.
Old 05 February 2009, 01:54 PM
WMS
Scooby Regular

use grey primer, best doing the whole panel to be honest, just enough to cover the old paint will be fine. The laquer needs to be applied thick enough to give the gloss shine, but it will run easily, this is where the skill and experiance comes in, can't write that down, just comes with trial and error, build up with light coats and see what it looks like.
Old 05 February 2009, 04:53 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

mate if it aint got any rust/chips/dents or scratches then just scotch brite the full panel and put the paint on top of original colour, you only need to prime if the panel has any of the above?

im by far not a novice when it comes to paint work as i used to do it for a living, so dont think im an idiot telling you the wrong thing.

however im not saying any of the above is wrong cos you can also cover 400grit scratches with paint. im just telling you the cheapest way of doing it in as little time as poss, like said above its hard to teach in a couple of lines, took me nearly 4 years to learn what i have, its not easy

p,m me if you get stuck mate i'll pass on my no for any help you need

good luck
wayn e.