Squeaky noise form alternator belt, urgent help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2009, 06:27 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Squeaky noise form alternator belt, urgent help needed

Hi,
I heard a squeeky noise from the alternator belt a few days ago and went to a subaru dealer who sprayed some 'special' spray on the alternator belt and pulleys/bearings. He told me that if the noise comes back I will have to change the alternator belt and bearings.
Today, I started the car and went to put some petrol. On my return when trying to start up it sounded like something metal dropped on the floor (sounded like a tin can) and then a squeaky noise when the car is running.
Has anyone else had similar problem?
I remember reading somewhere about alternator/bearing problems in hawkeyes but can't find it now.
Could it be something else causing this? I will take the car to the dealer tomorrow to check it.
It couldn't have happened at a worse time, I have to drive 1500 km to Norway tomorrow for an ice driving event which I am afraid I will have to miss if the car is not fixed as I don't fancy breaking down in the middle of nowhere

If you have any suggestions about what the problem could be I would greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance

P.S. The car is a 2007 WRX with 36k km on the clock

Last edited by fpan; 03 February 2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04 February 2009, 03:59 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Just collected the car from the garage who apparently couldn't find anything wrong with it.
It doesn't do any noise and drives OK.
I noticed after coming home though that it smells of burnt (similar smell to what a clutch or brake pads smell when hot - it did it last time when I tried to start it and I heard the noise). Could it be the timing belt?
I am so pissed off as I have to drive 1500 km tomorrow and the problem might come back again specially as we don't know what the hell it is