Notices

my engine needs help!!! sti v7

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2009, 04:30 PM
wrxlewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my engine needs help!!! sti v7

hi,i bought a sti v7 type uk,2002,90,k,miles,,standard apart from cat back exhaust,just had cambelt done,full service and a clutch 1k ago,

it started getting a knocking noise from the bottom end,so i took it to engine tuner in plymouth,(alan jeffery),he listened to the noise and put the car on his computers,everything was fine according to the laptop,no fault codes,knocking etc?,he said after listening to it and driving it that he didnt know wot the noise was but defo at the bottom end,but you feel it alot through the clutch pedal,(when pulling away),he told me to just drive it and wot happens will happen if it is the engine,

so,i havnt drove the car much,seeming it had the clutch done i was thinking maybe it was that,but i then noticed that the uppipe heatshield was loose,so i took that off thinking it was that rattling,then the car started running rough, when cold it would idle from 600-1300,it would stall sometimes and also stink of fuel,i then got a cel light come on,so i drove it home,and parked it,after a week i started the car and the light was gone but still running rough,not missing but it had no power and that rattling noise was awfull,so after another couple of days,started again this time,i couldnt drive the car past 1500 revs and the oil pressure light came on and cel light,,so i bought myself a car diagnostic kit,checked today, fault codes, po102 maf,po113 intake air circuit high, and po301 cylinder 1 missfire, oil pressure light gone out,so took for drive ,ran like a bag of **** untill warm,then didnt run so bad,but still has loss power and now the car revs stay high when changing gear,and the knocking is alot quieter when hot,

so sorry guys for the long post,but does anybody have a clue wots wrong?,
many thanks,lewis
Old 28 January 2009, 06:46 PM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a bottom end required, drain the oil through a fine clean white cloth, you will probably find loads of bits of big end bearing (copper colour bits of metal).
Old 28 January 2009, 07:20 PM
wrxlewis
Scooby Regular

out of interest how much would a bottom end rebuild cost?, thanks,
Old 28 January 2009, 08:36 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

2.1 stroker (bottom end) from Mr.Jeffery is around £1800

Allowing for currency changes !

dunx
Old 28 January 2009, 08:47 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

check you spark plugs, make sure they aren't loose. If it is the bottom end & you get the chaps at Enginetuner to rebuild you engine, you won't be disappointed.
Old 29 January 2009, 10:25 AM
wrxlewis
Scooby Regular

,thanks chaps,yeah im gunna change the sparks,maf,front lambda sensor,and put standard dump valve back on,then check for any leaks,i know alan and martyn well at engine tuner so,if all fails will save up for a 2.1 bottom end, thanks,lewis
Old 30 January 2009, 07:31 AM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

You might want to check to see how much you can get a brand new EJ257 short motor for, they were going for a song 6 months ago. I paid $4k (£1800) for mine.