Notices

Best Standard position Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2009, 02:36 PM
Dan Newlands
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Standard position Turbos

Reading and searching through various forums, discussions and projects etc has totally given me the tuning bug, and I'd like to make some plans.

I have an MY96 WRX (bought for track and weekend use, plus for occasions when I needed to transport something larger in size than a pencil with the bootspace in the Mini CS!). Turbo is 90 degree inlet TD05 and engine mods at present are merely a full 3" decat, thought to be Revolution system, tubular equal length manifold and uppipe, Exedy Clutch, soon to be fitted induction (as I broke the solenoid pipe nipple on the air box whilst replacing restrictor ) and the obligatory dump valve.

I have already bought a replacement V3 EJ20 long block off Ebay which I intend to strip and rebuild with stronger internals, and have heads, cams and valves tweaked etc, and many other mods in mind.

I haven't worked out which ECU to use as yet, and although I'd like to learn as we go along any mapper recommendations for the north east would be appreciated.

I'm not looking for monster power like many of the guys on here, 400bhp+, and as close as possible torque would make a nice target. I'm not averse to using manifold spacers and changing to straight inlet turbo if reqd either. I could use some info on turbos though, such as what are the capabilities of the standard TD05? Can it be tweaked, and for how much? Or if converting to straight entry what would my best turbo options be given the target I have?

Thanks in advance

Dan