Notices

What the f**** is a purge valve, anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2009, 10:18 AM
mjtelectrical
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the f**** is a purge valve, anyone???

Hi al. I've broken off one of the little plastic pipes on the purge control solenoid. Can this item be removed as I want to re-route the engine breathers away from the inlet pipe and generally clear out the emissions crap. What do I do with the 3rd small (canister?) pipe, and whats the little pressure valve from the manifold to solenoid for. I don't want to buy another solenoid if its surplus to requirements. Ta.
Old 04 January 2009, 11:05 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few threads on 'canister removal'. The purge valve activates to clear the canister and pipes of fuel vapour when the engine's ready to burn it off. It sounds like you want to delete your whole fuel vapour system?
Old 04 January 2009, 01:25 PM
mjtelectrical
Scooby Regular

I just need to know if i can remove the solenoid and purge valve plus pipes. What do i do with the line to the canister, can i pop a bolt in the end or will it need to go elsewhere. will the plug need to be on the solenoid for the CEL or can i leave it off.
Old 04 January 2009, 06:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Leave electrics connected to avoid a CEL.

I won't comment on the rest !

dunx
Old 04 January 2009, 07:06 PM
mjtelectrical
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the CEL tip. Looking on here it would seem that to VTA the 3rd fuel rail pipe is ok. I'm also catch canning the remaining breather pipes, so wont have anything befouling me inlet air. I remember my old Triumph Bonneville just used a very long crank breather pipe so the oil mist velocity slowed to a point where it ran back, oh well 'spose it shows there's nowt new under the sun.
Old 04 January 2009, 08:00 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Hi, remove the canister and pipes, the pipe on the top of the throttle body will need blocking, and the third pipe by the two fuel pipes can be vta'd as you say.
Old 04 January 2009, 09:11 PM
mjtelectrical
Scooby Regular

You know i've just pulled the engine, rebuilt it and put it back, yet have no idea where this charcoal canister lives. I've looked on here, in online parts manuals, all to no avail. Either I'm overlooking the obvious or am reeli fik!! Would it not be easier not to remove it but leave it where it is seeing as it probably doesn't exist and is a cruel wind up by you evil ba***rds, "ha ha lets set the idiot on a fools errand looking for the non-existent canister" Oh cruel fate, why must you mock my endeavours!

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2009, 09:21 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

i snapped mine, so took it off, car run fine, no worries with it off.
Old 04 January 2009, 09:30 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mjtelectrical
You know i've just pulled the engine, rebuilt it and put it back, yet have no idea where this charcoal canister lives. I've looked on here, in online parts manuals, all to no avail. Either I'm overlooking the obvious or am reeli fik!! Would it not be easier not to remove it but leave it where it is seeing as it probably doesn't exist and is a cruel wind up by you evil ba***rds, "ha ha lets set the idiot on a fools errand looking for the non-existent canister" Oh cruel fate, why must you mock my endeavours!

Trust me, it exists! It sits behind your drivers headlight.
Old 05 January 2009, 08:30 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mit

Trust me, it exists! It sits behind your drivers headlight.
...unless its a newage car - then its a rectangular box by the fuel tank.

The little valve directs the purge fumes either into the inlet pipe or the inlet manifold, depending on whether under boost or vacuum.

I've never done a purge solenoid delete on a newage, but there is an ECU check to make sure the system works, so if the purge canister is open ended (no pressure in it) then this may trigger a CEL.

I'll have a look in a box of bits to see if I have one.

nick
Old 05 January 2009, 06:22 PM
mjtelectrical
Scooby Regular

Ah, its in the bloody boot eh? Seeing as thats full of rad, fans, tmic,downpipe et al I think I will have to assume its there as you say. If I leave the plug connected to the solenoid I'm hoping the CEL won't come on as how does it know whether or not to vent, I assume it just does it as a matter of procedure. I guessI'll have to try it to find out although mje wrx says he's deleted it with no issues, plus it means nothing other than clean air will be going into the engine as I've blocked off all the breather pipes on the inlet pipe. I still need a new wideband lamda sensor ( the f***in expensive one that I buggered the wires up on when removing the engine!!), bottom hose, alternator belt, some fuel hose, clips, £35 of oil, antifreeze, jeez it don't end do it?
Old 14 March 2010, 11:28 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

right guys,where is the PCSV located on a 1995 wrx ???

any pics ?

cheers