Notices

Windscreen Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2002, 09:41 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've got some scratches on my MY95 screen where the rubber disintergrated and let metal touch the glass Also a few of the inevitable chips.
Could I get these successfully repaired?
My mum had a chip done on her windscreen for ~£25 but only a few days after the chip happened.
Am I right in thinking you need to have it done fairly soon after the damage happens? If so have I missed the boat having not got round to it for 3 months (since the scratches, longer for the chips).
Any guesses on how much the repairs would cost if it's possible to have them done? The scratches are on the far drivers side, start where the wiper is when they're off and go up the screen around 6 inches, about half an inch across of scratched area. Around 4 chips, none of them especially bad.

Cheers,

Scoobyster
Old 21 February 2002, 01:58 PM
Timo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are ok as long as water has not got into the chip. It will give a rainbow effect or at the extreme will start to go milky!!

A repair should push the water out cos the resin used repells water.

CAUTION...if you have ever used "rainex" or some other water repellant for your screen then the chances are that the repair will not take!!!

The only way to remove scratches is to have them polished....this can cause distortion of the glass as you actually polish it away where the scratch is. Not recomended in the drivers view!!

you can try:

www.esprit-windscreen.co.uk

this is who supplys my materials m8

Tim