Notices

£££ HOLY CR*P £££

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2008, 01:06 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default £££ HOLY CR*P £££

Help, Im in a bit a pickle, not sure what to do.

The garage have called and told me that I need a new cam belt tentioner and two pullies on my 93 wrx. bill was gonna be £680

I went down to take a look. Some of them are indeed noisy when you spin them next to your ear and there is some sideways play in one.

They have tightened up the screws on the oil pump (one was loose).

I have asked that they re-price the job with non oe parts and that they only replace the belt tentioner and the worse pully. I really cant justify that amount of cash. The car only cost me £2000. What would you do?

Can any one suggest where I could sourse some cheaper alternatives or advise me if I REALLY need go ahead and have them all replaced. None have failed, they are just a bit worn.

Knowing my luck ill spend all that money and they ill spin a bearing or summot.
Old 29 December 2008, 01:12 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

get a quote from another garage, and see how they compair, maybe a speclist off here
Old 29 December 2008, 01:33 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try Japkorean.com they are based in newport near telford. im sure they will do a much better quote than that mate.
Old 29 December 2008, 01:36 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Thats a big quote - ring around.

I guess the car is minus its belt and stuff, so not easy to move (they think they have you secured see?).

You could get the bits yourself and then the quote should be the same as the quote when you put it in for a belt change.
Old 29 December 2008, 01:48 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

i would expect at least half of that quote.
Old 29 December 2008, 02:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Its fekkin daylight robbery mate, i got the same motor at about the same price and some quotes ya get for servicing are unbelievable. Belt and pullys can be sourced for about £150 and a decent mech should av it done in 2-3 hours so i would expect about c.£300. As said above shop around for a friendly garage and source the parts ya self
Old 29 December 2008, 04:23 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

a full pulley kit with belt is 174.99 on ebay 93-1997 because i was going to get a kit my self to do a service
Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX & STi Timing Belt Kit V3 & V4 on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 31-Dec-08 15:09:02 GMT)

if this dosnt work type "impreza belt" in the serch bar on ebay this kit is for an sti model tho
Old 29 December 2008, 05:16 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

ok, the price is now £530ish all in

1 x cambelt
1 x belt tentioner and accompanying idler
1 x cog idler
remove oil pump and backing plate - tighten with locktite
rad flow test
2 x oil seals for above
adjust handbrake

They have used genuine parts.

Not too bad now, concidering they checked oil pump and adjusted handbrake too.
Old 29 December 2008, 05:48 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Lot of money that mate,

There is a chance that some of the items can go back on the vehicle, as even a new idler has some play in it & and they dont have to be on the car for a prolonged period of time before you can start to hear the bearing when it is spun by your ear, but i can't see, hear or feel the items in question so am not about to guide you on what you need to change.

Don't be tempted by the E Bay kit as it is meant as a complete kit for a 97/98 car (it says STI/WRX but would do any turbo variant) & it would do as an incomplete kit for a 99my on engine, but only 4 out of the 5 items would do for your car & the one bit you can't use (the tensioner) is the most expensive part of the kit.

You are gonna have to go after market for the items you need, as the cost of most the parts from Subaru are way too expensive.

It is going to make a difference as to which pieces you need, as the two most expensive parts are the tensioner itself & the tensioner idler which mates up to it.

If you want a complete kit then it's proberly worth hunting about on e bay, but remember that you need a kit for 93>96 turbo engine & don't worry abot it saying WRX or STI etc as they all have the same parts fitted.

If you are wanting to buy pieces indervidually then you only have to be carefull when purchasing the Tensioner parts to make sure thay are for the model year for your car ie pre 97. The smooth idlers and the toothed idler are the same on all derivertives of the Subaru Quad Cam unit from 1993 all the way up to and including the current models.

To give you an idea of costs:

Pre 97 Tensioner Assay:
Subaru = £115.00
Aftermarket Bluprint = £113.00

Tensioner Idler:
Subaru = £170.00
Bluprint = £95

Smooth Idler x2:
Subaru = £93.00 ea
Bluprint = £30.00 ea

Toothed Idler:
Subaru = £102.00
Bluprint = £35.00

Best of Luck
Phil
Old 29 December 2008, 05:56 PM
wrx1987
Scooby Regular

im a mechanic for jaguar and did my own cambelt and water pump on my wrx 93 plate its **** easy mate not reali alot of tech knoledge required jst a few tools could quite easily walk u through it if ud like???
Old 29 December 2008, 06:11 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

how much would it cost to have the kit fitted that i posted from ebay roughly,
because there is alot of money being talked about
Old 29 December 2008, 06:17 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

in another paragraph you say dont be tempted buy the ebay kits but then you put this, imconfused so is the ebay kit i posted good or totally the wrong way to go about getting a kit

""If you want a complete kit then it's proberly worth hunting about on e bay, but remember that you need a kit for 93>96 turbo engine & don't worry abot it saying WRX or STI etc as they all have the same parts fitted.""

cheers matt
Old 29 December 2008, 06:42 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

The link to the kit was the wrong kit. The link was for a post 97 cars (different tensioner) I have a pre 96 car. Thanks for the link all the same.
Im reasonably happy with the price now. I have genuine items.
Another well respected scooby specialst quoted this (I havnt had new oil pump though)

cam belt+modded oil pump - £320.00 + VAT = £368.00
Plus a tensioner at £99.00 + VAT
Old 29 December 2008, 06:59 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

The kit you are talking about on E Bay should take the same amout of time as fitting a Cam Belt (no more than 2 hrs). The belt & the tensioner are removed anyway when doing a belt change & the extra 3 items in the kit only take 2 mins to fit.

As for the kit you mentioned to the OP, as he has said, this kit is for a later car with a 1 piece tensioner & he has a 2 piece arrangement. I later commented that he could still hunt on e bay for a kit but it had to be for a model between 93my & 96my for it to fit correctly.

Hope this clears things up
Old 29 December 2008, 07:17 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Ive had a bit of time to digest this now. Looking through the latest estimate from them all the cost is in the parts becuase they have used oe bits.
They had origianlly quoted £160 for just the belt (2.1 hours labour)
Whats bumped it up is the oe bits and extra labour to remove and inspect the oil pump and handbrake adjustment, oh and rad had to be sent away to be flow tested as it was clogged apparently.
Maybee I should have just taken my chances with the belt! ....not
Old 29 December 2008, 07:18 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport
Hi Matt,

The kit you are talking about on E Bay should take the same amout of time as fitting a Cam Belt (no more than 2 hrs). The belt & the tensioner are removed anyway when doing a belt change & the extra 3 items in the kit only take 2 mins to fit.

As for the kit you mentioned to the OP, as he has said, this kit is for a later car with a 1 piece tensioner & he has a 2 piece arrangement. I later commented that he could still hunt on e bay for a kit but it had to be for a model between 93my & 96my for it to fit correctly.

Hope this clears things up
rite im with you now sorry been furinture hunting all day so cant think straight lol
Old 29 December 2008, 07:23 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

had mine done last year £200 for the full kit£120 for fitting
Old 29 December 2008, 07:28 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hixxys STI
a full pulley kit with belt is 174.99 on ebay 93-1997 because i was going to get a kit my self to do a service
Subaru Impreza Turbo WRX & STi Timing Belt Kit V3 & V4 on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 31-Dec-08 15:09:02 GMT)

if this dosnt work type "impreza belt" in the serch bar on ebay this kit is for an sti model tho
thers a smaller pully thats missing from that kit
Old 29 December 2008, 07:49 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

as others have said, get a quote and ask them to list what work is to be done as part of that quote.

When I had my cambelt changed I shopped around first and in the end got it done for a nudge under £100 - not the best but I was happier knowing the guys doing the work were going to do a proper job.

You get what you pay for as the saying goes but yeah, most of the garages just seem to pull prices out of the air these days.

I got a service quote two weeks ago from a garage I found local to me, thought give em a try as they service my mates cossie but I was in for a shock. Quoted me £670 for a service which involved changing fluids, changing brake pads and bleeding the brakes and spark plugs.

At least I walked away knowing what they were gonna do and did it all myself apart from spark plugs
Old 29 December 2008, 09:27 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amego
had mine done last year £200 for the full kit£120 for fitting
alright matey seen you this morning buy mcdonalds round about i was in my vw transporter. nice looking scoob

Anyway, who did you get to fit the kit cuz i dont like leaving my car with strangers its a love thing lol
Old 30 December 2008, 09:56 AM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amego
thers a smaller pully thats missing from that kit
The kit being discussed in post 7 above is correctly advertised for a VER 3 & 4 (97 & 98my) and is a complete kit for these model years, so if you have any type of Subaru Turbo which is either a 97 or 98my then this kit will do you nicely.

The extra, small idler was introduced in 1999 (VER 5) along with the Phase Two engine, so if your car is a 5 or later (1999-2009) & you buy the above kit, you would need to source the small idler seperately.
Old 30 December 2008, 11:29 AM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport
The kit being discussed in post 7 above is correctly advertised for a VER 3 & 4 (97 & 98my) and is a complete kit for these model years, so if you have any type of Subaru Turbo which is either a 97 or 98my then this kit will do you nicely.

The extra, small idler was introduced in 1999 (VER 5) along with the Phase Two engine, so if your car is a 5 or later (1999-2009) & you buy the above kit, you would need to source the small idler seperately.
so would that ebay kit be perfect for my 97 sti

cheers matt