Notices

just worrying i think...water from exhaust, fluctuating oil pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2008, 08:31 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just worrying i think...water from exhaust, fluctuating oil pressure...

I'm just worrying excessively I think, as I havent driven the car for a couple of weeks it's just ticked over on the drive and been driven in and out of the garage.

I had to adjust the exhaust as it came from it's mountings and when I disconnected the mid section in the downpipe there was a small amount of water in the exhaust. When it was ticking over it also seemed to be blowing small amounts of water for a while.

I took it for a blast and it drives ok and the smoke went after it had warmed up after being driven so that has eased my mind a little.

The oil pressure was fluctuating from tickover, cruise to full boost and I had lost a little bit of oil but nothing out of the norm.

I was just worried that a head gasket may have gone, but it doesn’t seem that bad, the coolant was pressurised when I checked and hadnt lost any level, so that should be ok.

I am also running on 10% meth at the moment and so just wondered if this might add to the water level in the exhaust system etc. Does the car seem to gain more water with meth in the tank ?? or is it just simply the car standing for a few weeks and just being started every now and again.

I just didn’t want it to be a a head gasket
Old 22 December 2008, 09:57 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Water in the exhaust is perfectly normal for a car that has done v.short trips, nothing to be concerned about.
Old 22 December 2008, 11:34 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

i think it's just me being over cautious......a little like....what's going to happen next
Old 22 December 2008, 09:09 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

As Jay has said, short journeys will cause this, but if the car's been started up and shut off several times without being properly warmed up/driven then it'll will be worse..

IMHO, it's always a good idea to warm the engine properly up once started. Otherwise water and other corrosive substances will remain in the exhaust and spread around the engine..!

Running a good fully synthetic oil helps, but you still end up with loads of unburnt fuel everywhere (we all know how rich these cars run when cold- even when re-mapped..!) which isn't good.

Our car is often driven by the wife, who rarely uses any boost whatsoever. When I next drive it and give it some stick the first boot always produces a large puff of crap out the exhaust. In fact, if the cars just driven around town the tail pipe is sooty black. Where as, after a bit of spirited driving it's nice and grey/NF brown.