Simtek Help

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2008, 06:58 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simtek Help

Hi Guys,

Purchased a 2nd hand Simtek, seller gave it with ecu specific software CD and dongle, however my mapper is asking me for the restriction codes from the previous mapper.

If I cannot get them can the car still be mapped?..

Also I thought that if the CD and dongle were provided there is no actual locking code on the ECU?...

Any help is appreciated...
Old 18 December 2008, 08:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as you say if you have the cd and dongle then nothing else is required, unless the previous mapper put a password on it.. which is unlikely. . not seen one password protected.

if you didn't have the cd and dongle then the new mapper would need the ecu number which starts E1S.XX.XXXX off the board.

Simon
Old 18 December 2008, 08:25 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Ordered my software and dongle from Steve Simpson by getting the code from the ecu board iirc correctly I have ecu number 80. Plug the ecu in every weekend and have been playing around with the map from the previous owner of the ecu, only parked up on idle though lol

Steve Simpson mapped the ecu for the previous owner and as Simon says it was not password protected, just waiting on my wideband lambda before I take the car out and have play around with the map.

Banny
Old 18 December 2008, 08:54 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Unless he's talking about restriction codes for anti-lag and launch... which you would have to pay for!!

So i gather, the .exe file on the CD has been hard coded to only accept the ECU serial number for which it was intended; which means i couldn't give Banny my software CD and allow him to connect to his ECU.

He could install my software; but then he would have to use his own executable. (Possible this is only for customer versions of Alkatec)

Any news on the AIM guages for the Simtek?

Last edited by apalmer; 18 December 2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 18 December 2008, 10:16 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

wouldn't need the ALS codes they are either in the ecu map already or written on a sticker on the ecu.

each dongle and software that is no a dealer version is for the ecu it was bought for.

Simon
Old 18 December 2008, 10:23 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys,

Previous mapper was Pat I believe, however will ask my mapper again what he means.

The CD and dongle were ordered direct from Simtek using the ECU number.

The ECU already had the AL/LC Add-ons previously purchased by the old owner.

Will have to contact my mapper again, I'm sure Pat or anyone else would password protect it would they?....
Old 18 December 2008, 10:30 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

unlikely to be password protected no
Old 18 December 2008, 10:38 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Cool,

Cheers Simon, I'll mail my mapper to clarify what he means.

Thanks again
Old 19 December 2008, 07:56 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

whats with all the complications why do people need to put passwords on there for anyway?? cant simtek just be nice and simple like apexi?
Old 19 December 2008, 09:12 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We don't, Simon doesn't, I wouldn't worry about it!
Old 19 December 2008, 11:21 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I am not aware of anyone doing so.. it is not a SimTek issue more most ecu's etc.. they have the option to password protect the map..

I find far more evo aftermarket stuff password protected.
Old 20 December 2008, 05:33 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Ok Guys, Tuner says the profile is locked?... I advised that AFAIK as a dealer he should have his own profile that he can upload and use to map the car and setup?....

I'm really stuck now, car is stuck there without an ECU, and am getting no help from the simtek dealer..

He also says I'm missing a temp sensor, and if I buy a new unit through him it will be fine to fit and set the car up on.

They are genuine guys and have had a lot of work done through them, just not sure if this is a genuine reason for not mapping the car...

Any help or advise is appreciated...
Old 20 December 2008, 05:46 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your version of software will allow any SimTek dealer to map that ecu.
They just need to install your version of software on their laptop and use your dongle.
Old 20 December 2008, 05:56 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Martyn, sent you guys a pm to Alan's profile.
Old 20 December 2008, 06:39 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Interesting thread I didn’t think we were being un helpful in any way or our honestly was being called into question here…….

You are missing your dongle and the temp sensor, on top of this gauges and injectors are also holding things up as discussed on the phone less than two hours ago.

Feel free to call me as have I have limited internet at the moment.
Old 20 December 2008, 06:43 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

I do not have an additional temp, can your not use the one on the car with it being an sti? Obviously without the dongle you cant do anything as it will not let you access the ecu.

Banny
Old 20 December 2008, 07:05 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slowboy Racing
Interesting thread I didn’t think we were being un helpful in any way or our honestly was being called into question here…….

You are missing your dongle and the temp sensor, on top of this gauges and injectors are also holding things up as discussed on the phone less than two hours ago.

Feel free to call me as have I have limited internet at the moment.

Neil,

I spoke to you last week, and advised Renno_rannes had the car mapped by Pat in Ireland.
The Dongle and CD were sent direct from Simtek to me, and I sent the whole package as I recieved it including Dongle Key to yourself.

From what I understand all you have to do is set up your software seperately on your laptop/PC.

Defi's have been with you as long as the car has, and Injectors you advised could only be supplied via yourself due to the specific type that were required.

As just discussed as well, I'm not trying to shame anyone here and didn't even mention you as the mapper. However when over £15k has been invested in a car that has only ran for two weeks in the past 9 months, I think I'm entitled to be a little annoyed especially if you do not wish to continue working on it.

There's no point in discussing
the in's and outs on a public forum as it won't do anyone any good.

Your advise has always been honest and up-front, and you have made your decisions for whatever your own personal reasons are, however it does not mean that it helps me out or get's my car on the road any quicker.

I think I have been very patient and co-operative throughout all of this, and have not once questioned your honesty.
Old 20 December 2008, 08:04 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

Originally Posted by banny sti
I do not have an additional temp, can your not use the one on the car with it being an sti?
Banny
Yes Banny he could use the inlet air temp sensor, but as they are not a bolt on fitment this could lead to leaks in the boost pipework.
Ideally the correct sensor and wiring harness should be obtained from SimTek and fitted, they aren't expensive.
Old 20 December 2008, 10:47 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Default Charge Temp Sensor

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Yes Banny he could use the inlet air temp sensor, but as they are not a bolt on fitment this could lead to leaks in the boost pipework.
Ideally the correct sensor and wiring harness should be obtained from SimTek and fitted, they aren't expensive.
Banny I can email you over some pics of my charge temp sensor if required, its just a very simple 2 wire sensor situated in the fmic pipework just before the throttle body, the 2 wires from the sensor plug straight in to the original mass air flow sensor socket, mine was secured using a nut and loads of loctite
Old 21 December 2008, 10:09 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

We just manufacture and weld a boss straight on to the intercooler pipework, the 2 wires then connect to the MAF sensor signal and ground wires.
I take it Banny that your original inlet temp sensor has been moved into the boost pipework.
Without this fitted and connected in the right place you are not getting Air Charge Temp correction.
Old 21 December 2008, 12:34 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

I am preparing for when its fitted, so I will be using the proper simtek sensor and junk the original sti one

Banny

Last edited by banny sti; 21 December 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 21 December 2008, 12:41 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Good man !
Old 21 December 2008, 12:46 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

With me fitting water/methanol injection, need the air charge temp to be accurate so it can compensate for any issues with the water injection and protect the engine.

Banny
Old 21 December 2008, 01:44 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Don't forget the Nitrous !
Old 21 December 2008, 01:50 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Ecu will be on its way back to Steve tomorrow for the nitrous upgrade

Banny
Old 21 December 2008, 01:59 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Excellent, is it going on your 2 litre or 2.5 ?
Old 21 December 2008, 02:03 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

you never know with banny but i'm putting my money on the 2litre lol
Old 21 December 2008, 02:05 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

This is going on the 2 litre, the 2.5 is going to run a solaris as I decided to use vvt heads on the car. That will also run nitrous using a progressive setup from the same guy who designed the system for the gobstopper. Should be fun with the GT35/42R.

Banny
Old 21 December 2008, 02:15 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Somewhat m8, just built 2 with the GT35/42R on.
One STi9 and a WR1, just running the STi9 in now and the WR1 should be finished before Jan 1st.
Interesting choice on the ecu though, I am fairly sure I could get the SimTek to run the VVT heads on an earlier car if I asked nicely...lol
Old 21 December 2008, 02:34 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

sorry guys bit of topic, how comes no one ever uses gems ecu? i think most of the wrc cars use it so doesn't that make it good.

Quick Reply: Simtek Help