Notices

Tuning a uk2000 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2008, 10:57 PM
pcressie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning a uk2000 turbo

I would like some advise on tuning my subaru. The car is my2000 uk turbo with 56000 on the clock. After taking my car for a service the machanic sugested the first thing I should do would be to get a replacement down pipe without the cat on,as this would make a big difference. I then went to get some part's from my local breaker's and asked about this part, to which he replyed " it wouldn't make that much difference". He then went on to warn me that the bottom end's in the my99 and 2000 are a little prone to going if the power is upped. Is this true? I was thinking of a chip/remap, what sort of power will this release? the car is used everyday so it need's to be reliable and not to expensive to run. Basically to some up how can I get my car to 250 bhp and keep it reliable. Sorry for beating around the bush lol
Old 25 November 2008, 11:54 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Decat and remap will see anywhere between 250 and 270. Uk engines are regarded as safe at this level - but you never know. Keep things safe by getting a new maf every couple of years is my advice - regardless of tune
Old 26 November 2008, 12:04 AM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

^^^ what he said

There's the first £700 and the bug is only just starting
Old 26 November 2008, 09:27 AM
kylejennings05
Scooby Regular

how much are mafs??
Old 26 November 2008, 10:13 AM
85rob
Scooby Regular

they are about £100.
Old 26 November 2008, 01:38 PM
ross_wrx
Scooby Regular

eep things safe by getting a new maf every couple of years is my advice - regardless of tune
Where's the best place to get a new MAF from? Just from a dealer or can they be ordered online?
Old 26 November 2008, 05:03 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ross_wrx
Where's the best place to get a new MAF from? Just from a dealer or can they be ordered online?
I got one from scoobyclinic via ebay for £80 inc delivery.
Old 26 November 2008, 05:55 PM
pcressie
Scooby Regular

Are induction kit's safe? I've heard that these can knacker MAF sensor's? Who's map/chip would you recomend or should I leave it alone if the block's aren't that strong?

Cheer's cressy
Old 26 November 2008, 06:46 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

induction kits are not advisable at all,stick with a decent panel filter.if you change anything like cat etc,make sure u budget for a remap mate.in the process of tuning my 99 uk turbo at moment!already had remap using ecutek,the difference is well worth the money! allow £500-£600.
Old 27 November 2008, 12:59 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

rough guide for ya

Tuning realy depends on your budget, no mater what model car you have.

i've gone from a more or less standard car (my00 classic uk turbo) to one thats got very few parts left in origional condition, but to do that i've had to throw a shed load of money at it.

shall base the upgrade stages on a classic uk turbo for now.

so first things first, decide what you want from it, do you want to do easy mods that will help the performance, or do you want to eventually go the whole hog?

The basic engine mods start at decatting, uprating the air filter and remapping. on a classic at this stage a uprated pannel filter is by far the best option insetad of an induction kit.

Generic chips arn't worth it (excluding the PPP kit) the maps are either too general to make large differences, or they can cause serious running issues risking the engine reliability.

the basic cost is roughly £1000-£1500 ish to get to this stage, and should boost performance from 215bhp 215ftlb to 260bhp 260ftlb (as a rough guide, exact figures vary from car to car).

Next are basic suspension changes.

uprating the rear anti roll bar will remove some of the generic understear presnt in impreza's. (roughly £150)
Drop links will stiffen up the connections between roll bar and the car (roughly £100 per end of the car)
anti lift keeps stops the front end from going up and down as much, however this means a geometry setup is required. (combined roughly £200-£300)
Strut braces will reduce body roll (£120 front upper, £120 front lower and £100 rear)
basic upgraded springs (stiffer) (£250)

then basic brake changes

Also brakes should be uprated, 4 pots should be a minimum (although post 98 cars will have them as standard)
uprate fast road pads (£140)
uprated brake lines (£50-£80) further improve braking responce
uprated groved disks (£140-£250)

for all of the above your probibly loking at £2000-3000

After that it start to become more involved and much more expensive, but also depends on model.

Bake upgrades mentioned above are a must, and possibly the introduction of a uprated 6pot brake kit (£1200 -£2000)

Full uprated suspension, including dampers and springs (£800 for a full kit), adjstable is possibly the best option at this point, they tend to allow even stiffer settings but also allow for softer to be used when required.

Power wise your lookng at changeing the turbocharger, fuel pump and a remap to suite, however you'll hit a limit at around 320bhp on this set up.

roughly an addition £3000 (total £5000-£6000)

to get to where i am now (340bhp)

you'll need, uprated turbo (£250 for a second hand one up to £750 for a brand new vf34), front mount intercooler (£450), induction kit (£100), uprated oil cooler is advisable (£450), a full set of gauges (£650 for defi's), some cars also need new large fuel injectors (£400),

also your at the very top limit of the gearbox, an uprated on is either a straight cut ppg or similar kit (£3000) or a switch to a 6 speed gearbox (£2000). the standard clutch wont cope and will need uprating (£450).

The standard ecu may become a problem at this level (£1500)

now as a rough guess your up around the £11,000-£13,000

Once your past this point then your alkind serious money

the engine isn't up to the job, rods block and pistons can't take te boost pressures and will need replacing. Head bolts wont be strong enough, headers will be restrictive, as well as all the parts monetioned above becomeing also not up to the task.

a full custom rebuild to get to that sort of power your talking (very very rough guide), with varous of the above mentioned parts

£7000+ for 400bhp
£12000+ for 450bhp
£15000+ for 500bhp

and the cost per bhp goes up and up, past this point its so variable as to the cost you can't give guess figures, they have to be priced up professional.

The price shown are rough guides and vary dramaticly depending on tuning company and market prices for parts.

however what i can tell you is there are some off the shelf engine that can gve mega performance and for what they are arn't overly pricey (in context anway lol)

Scoobyclinic do an off the shelf SC450 package which iirc is £12,000 plus vat for a 450bhp engine, icluding suitable clutch and gearbox. hich is very good value indeed, but is a whole different ball game as far as performance goes.

So it goes back to the question, how far do you want to go, and whats your budget.

hope that rough guide helps
Old 27 November 2008, 02:14 PM
0victory0
Scooby Regular

hi, i've also got a uk '00' classic, getting a exhaust system and panel filter for xmas from my wonderful girlfriend (she was reading what i was writing), once fitted i know i have to get remap but will i have to buy anything else before get remap or is it i'll just have to take it somewhere and they set it up??
Old 27 November 2008, 04:43 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't have to get a remap on an MY00. Many have decatted without
Old 27 November 2008, 05:58 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

remap is well worth doing to get the most of the gains and runs really well.ive had mine mapped and never looked back!!huge improvement in torque.
Old 28 November 2008, 10:24 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Yep you don't have to have a remap. Ive got the full Scoobysport exhaust system with only 1 of the 3 cats left and a panel filter and all runs fine.

Of course, to get the most gains I need a remap, but I can't afford it or the possibility of a new gearbox!
Old 09 May 2009, 08:45 PM
l8_taa
Scooby Regular

i have a UK classic year 2000. Mods are sports cat and full magnex exhaust, K&N Panel filter and i'm booked in to have it set up with ecutek at ZEN Performance in two weeks time.

My question is, i've just purchased a recon IHI VF35 Turbo and was wondering if i should fit this before taking it to get remapped? What sort of BHP would i be looking at?

Would i need a larger fuel pump? how much extra would that give? Just looking to get bhp per ££s

When you read all the tuning sites, each one recomend different components for the same stages, its rather confusing. I've compaired, Scoobyclinic, Scoobyworld, Graham Goode, Zen, and some others.

Totally baffelled, don't want to change anything for changings sake.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 09 May 2009, 09:05 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

deffinatly fit it before you go for mapping mate, with supporting mods youd make it somewhere into the 300's. youl deffo need a fuel pump though.
Old 09 May 2009, 09:52 PM
l8_taa
Scooby Regular

Hi, thanks for the quick response, i'll go for a fuel pump as well then since they are reasonably priced.

Probably a Walbro in-tank since they are around £80ish + Vat

Can i also ask though, will i need a Fuel Pressure Regulator with this? I don't even know what one does (apart from the obvious description), don't understand the benifits of having one fitting and the downside to not having one fitted. Quite expensive around £300

Can anyone advise?

I would be happy to see 300bhp on the dyno with the mods i've mentioned thanks.
Old 09 May 2009, 10:00 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

You won't need another fuel pressure reg.
Old 09 May 2009, 10:12 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

You might need a new gearbox shortly after mapping to 330+!
Old 09 May 2009, 10:16 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
You might need a new gearbox shortly after mapping to 330+!
old wifes tales

depends if he has a 752 of 754 and how he treats it.

you will get away without a fuel reg at that kinda power mate dont worry about it too much. your injectors wont be maxed at until about 350bhp
Old 09 May 2009, 10:18 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most other people have made good suggestions, but here's exactly what I'd do...and am going to when I buy a late Classic UK Turbo.

Book the car in for a remap, then, the week before you have it mapped fit the following.

Uprated panel filter
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
3" full stainless decat exhaust system
Optional uprated spark plugs

The above should see you around 270bhp, and the car will be very responsive.

See here - AndyForrestPerformance - for more information. Select your car from the menus on the left hand side of the page to see what can be achieved.
Old 09 May 2009, 10:23 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
old wifes tales

depends if he has a 752 of 754 and how he treats it.

you will get away without a fuel reg at that kinda power mate dont worry about it too much. your injectors wont be maxed at until about 350bhp
Really?

Also, mileage is a factor.

What's the difference between the gearbox numbers?
Old 09 May 2009, 10:27 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

if your box has a history of traffic light GP's, its not gonna be tip top. and yes mileage is a factor, as with everything really

752 is the earlier weaker box, 754 is the latter and stronger. stonger then what people give it credit for. iv heard there are people out there with a tad over 400bhp on a stock 754...

in my eyes, if youve got a good box and respect it (again same engine wise) it will treat you well back
Old 09 May 2009, 10:47 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Most other people have made good suggestions, but here's exactly what I'd do...and am going to when I buy a late Classic UK Turbo.

Book the car in for a remap, then, the week before you have it mapped fit the following.

Uprated panel filter
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
3" full stainless decat exhaust system
Optional uprated spark plugs

The above should see you around 270bhp, and the car will be very responsive.

See here - AndyForrestPerformance - for more information. Select your car from the menus on the left hand side of the page to see what can be achieved.

oh yes very very responsive indeed i just done it
Old 09 May 2009, 10:48 PM
l8_taa
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

The cars a late 2000 X plate, not sure if that helps. Its had a fairly easy life, since its now done 90k full service history and since i bought it and can't afford to drive it to work the wife has had it to run the kids around. I will only get to have a play at the weekend.

We purchased it, once owner from new with no mods at all. I've had them all fitted over the last two weeks and fitted at our local subaru dealer.

Mods i've done are:
Full service, oil change etc
Scoobyworld sports cat
Magnex full exhaust
K&N Panel filter
Just purchased a IHI VF35 Turbo, its being recond at present
Advised i need to purchase a new fuel pump, walbro to match the turbo.
ecuTek Mapping - I've booked the car in at Zen Perfomance on the tuesday after bank hol, so hopefully will see some good results on the rollers.

Have no idea what bhp is at present, but it seem to perform as it should as standard 215, just a bit quicker than my previous civic type r.

How will i know about the gearbox? Last thing i want to do is upset the reliability, i've never had anything go wrong with the car, apart from the silly Sigma alarm (had to have it replaced in the end!).

Thanks

Last edited by l8_taa; 09 May 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09 May 2009, 11:03 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

it will be a ty754 mate, mines on a 1999 and has the same but only 49k

it will tell you your gearbox type on your vin plate - passenger side front strut
Old 09 May 2009, 11:21 PM
l8_taa
Scooby Regular

Thanks, thats good to know. Hopefully i'll learn a lot from joining this forum.

I'll let you guys know how i get on and what the rollers say.

Any recomendations or other people used Zen Performance?

Thanks
Old 10 May 2009, 02:08 AM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l8_taa
Thanks, thats good to know. Hopefully i'll learn a lot from joining this forum.

I'll let you guys know how i get on and what the rollers say.

Any recomendations or other people used Zen Performance?

Thanks
API Engines From all the good feedback on here you wont go wrong with David at API. Never heard a bad word said about them.
Same goes for ZEN by the way, nothing but praise for them on here.
Old 10 May 2009, 05:43 PM
Mayrun
Scooby Regular

What engine management do you guys use? any one with Halteck?
Old 11 May 2009, 06:26 PM
l8_taa
Scooby Regular

Since mine ecu is reprogramable its going to have the ecuTEK software installed and then customised to my car. I believe pre 99 needs a replacement ecu

Quick Reply: Tuning a uk2000 turbo